Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/11 23:21:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] 1.0 Release (was Re: [DISCUSS] Initial 0.11.0 Release)

Changing subject in order to consolidate discussion of a 1.0 release in one thread (there was some additional discussion in the thread regarding the JStorm code merge).

I just want to make sure I’m accurately capturing the sentiment of the community with regard to a 1.0 release. Please correct me if my summary seems off-base or jump in with an opinion.

In summary:

1. What we have been calling “0.11.0” will become the Storm 1.0 release.
2. We will NOT be migrating package names for this release (i.e. “backtype.storm” —> “org.apache.storm”).
3. Post 1.0 release we will go into feature freeze for core functionality to facilitate the JStorm merge.
4. During the feature freeze only fixes for high priority bugs in core functionality will be accepted (no new features).
5. During the feature freeze, enhancements to “external” modules can be accepted.
6. We will stop using the “beta” flag in favor of purely numeric version numbers. Stable vs. non-stable (development) releases can be indicated on the download page.

Do we all agree?

-Taylor

Re: [DISCUSS] 1.0 Release (was Re: [DISCUSS] Initial 0.11.0 Release)

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
+1 - Bobby

Posted by Parth Brahmbhatt <pb...@hortonworks.com>.
+1.

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
+1

 --
Derek

Posted by Kyle Nusbaum <kn...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I may have misunderstood.

I'm okay with cutting 1.0 if after we merge JStorm we go to 2.0.
I thought I read in one of these threads the proposal to move to 1.1 afterwards, but I cannot find it now.

 -- Kyle

     On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:00 PM, Kyle Nusbaum <kn...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> wrote:

 I would prefer to wait until the JStorm code is merged to move to 1.0, and keep the current planned release as 0.11
My concern is that there will be significant functionality and possibly stability changes involved, and it feels more natural to have major changes be across a
major version release.

Rather than release 1.0 and then immediately make major changes to the project, I would propose we release 0.11, then do the freeze and merge the JStorm code, and the first release after that can be 1.0. -- Kyle

    On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:57 PM, Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> wrote:

 I have a pull request up now for these changes.  I can run both new and old jars, but you have to use a new client when submitting an old jar or it will not work.

https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/889
 - Bobby

    On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:43 AM, Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> wrote:

 I have a patch that is close, but like I said on the JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1202 we are not going to be able to make a storm-compat.jar work.  Instead I have a binary that uses the shade code to rewrite the jar before it runs to match the new namespace.  I am just doing some cleanup on the code and testing now before I put up the pull request either today or tomorrow.  It too will be something that we can remove for a 2.0 release.
 - Bobby

    On Monday, November 16, 2015 7:23 PM, Harsha <st...@harsha.io> wrote:

 +1 on Bobby's suggestion on moving the packages to storm-compat and have
it part of lib folder.
Moving 1.0 with org.apache.storm will make it easier in the future
rather than wait for 2.0 release we should make
this change now and in 2.0 we can remove the storm-compat jar.

Thanks,
Harsha

Posted by Kyle Nusbaum <kn...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "封仲淹(纪君祥LongdaFeng)" <zh...@alibaba-inc.com>.
+1 as well.

(1) What we have been calling “0.11.0” will become the Storm 1.0 release.[Longda] Agree.  we almost stop developing new feature after 0.11, so 0.11 is one big version of clojure core, I prefer we give it one big milestone number 1.0 to this version. In fact, this version will import some big featuer.
(2) switch from "backtype.storm" to "org.apache.storm"[Longda] Agree, but what I concern is three point: 2.1  is the storm-compat solution can resolve all package name problem. Has any other system used this technology before.2.2 The develop speed, I wish we can finish this feature as fast as we can. 2.3 This will lead to a little hard to trace all file's history. Because all file will be rename and modify.

RegardsLongda
------------------------------------------------------------------From:Hugo Da Cruz Louro <hl...@hortonworks.com>Send Time:2015年11月18日(星期三) 07:57To:dev@storm.apache.org <de...@storm.apache.org>Subject:Re: [DISCUSS] 1.0 Release (was Re: [DISCUSS] Initial 0.11.0 Release)
+1 as well. I support moving to the org.apache.storm package as early as possible and I am OK with storm-compat. My only concern with using storm-compat is if we are going to have to support it forever, or plan on dropping it after a certain release. Backwards compatibility is a valid concern but it can become very difficult to maintain older versions and at some point we must say that only topologies built after version X will run for version Y onwards (Y > X)

Hugo

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
My concern for backwards compatibility is really to provide a clean upgrade path to my users.  So for me it is mostly maintaining some form of backwards compatibility for a few months until all the users have upgraded.  This is because we have multiple clusters and having users maintain two versions of their code so they can run on multiple clusters is something they would complain a lot about.  I know that for other groups it will likely be similar, but their time-frame and the versions they will be going from/to will be different.  In general I am in favor of maintaining API, wire, and binary compatibility as long as is easily possible, and if we cannot it needs to be a conscious decision that involves changing the major version number of storm.  Changing the package names is very much a non-backwards compatible change.  But in this case the backwards compatibility I put in is a real hack.  That is why I put it in a jar named storm-rename-hack in a java package named org.apache.storm.hack. Additionally it is off by default, and when it is on, and it does anything to the jar it warns you repeatedly that you need to upgrade your namespaces. I personally think that this is a one off situation.  We are not going to break compatibility that often, because we have the tools we need to maintain compatibility, and we have been using them fairly well lately.  Now that being said compatibility is theoretical until someone actually tests it.  Small bugs can always creep in so if you do want to go from one version to another you need to be sure that you have tested it, like any other software.
 - Bobby

Posted by Hugo Da Cruz Louro <hl...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.