Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com> on 2017/09/05 20:48:00 UTC

installer is unsigned but requires admin privileges

I figure I'd write an annoying reminder that currently the installer (at least on macOS) requires admin privileges, but is not signed. This provides an inviting target for someone to alter the installer with malicious content, especially since the NetBeans brand enjoys a high "trust" factor so many developers will not think twice about installing it. If a trojan can happen in Apple's Xcode, it can happen here. Let's not get people used to trusting an unsigned NetBeans installer.

Is there any chance we can get these things signed again?

-Alvin

Re: installer is unsigned but requires admin privileges

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, those builds are valid. Yet they have nothing to do with Apache.

Can you stop writing in this thread and discuss in the other thread
instead, i.e., the one with Oracle engineers included?

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com>.

Posted by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com>.