Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2009/04/17 13:37:17 UTC

Editing the docu with Firedocs

Hi Lenya devs,

I have started to extend the docu publication and the forrestDocument20
resource type with the goal of making the documentation editable with
Firedocs. IMO this will further lower the barrier to improve our
documentation. And if it proves useful, maybe we can invite other ASF
projects to take a look at the system, present it at ApacheCon etc.?

Unfortunately editing is limited to simple text changes at the moment.
The editor seems to recognize the document structure (the XPath at the
bottom of the page is displayed correctly), but it doesn't allow to
apply any structural changes.

Thomas, do you have an impromptu idea what needs to be changed in order
to make this work? All I did was add the "application/forrest+xml" MIME
type in the same places as the "application/lenya-links+xml" MIME type.
If you're interested in taking a look at the system, I'll be happy to
create an account and send you the XPI. In this case it would be great
if you could send me your 1.2.x or 2.0.x .iml file. Any help would of
course be greatly appreciated.

If someone else wants to give it a try, you have to build the Firedocs
package with the latest version of the module in the contributions area.
Before you can edit a document, you have to change the MIME type to
"application/forrest+xml" (you can do this via the GUI, I configured
this meta data element to be editable). I already did this for the docu
homepage.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Editing the docu with Firedocs

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Jürgen,

Jürgen Ragaller schrieb:
> Am 17.04.2009 um 16:49 schrieb Andreas Hartmann:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>>> I have started to extend the docu publication and the
>>> forrestDocument20 resource type with the goal of making the
>>> documentation editable with Firedocs.
>>
>> I have to say: This rocks. A whole new editing experience. Thanks
>> again to everyone who was involved in creating and integrating Firedocs.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> I tried to edit the docu publication (on the zones server). Is it ready
> to be edited with firedocs?
> I inserted the forrest Mime type for the docudesign contest page.
>
> When I then open that document (or any other) with one form I get a
> validation complaint about the document tag.

I forgot to mention that you have to add the namespace to the document:

   <document xmlns="http://apache.org/lenya/forrest" …>

The contest document should be editable with Firedocs now. I added a
note to the Wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/HowToInstallFiredocs

-- Andreas

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi devs!

Am 17.04.2009 um 16:49 schrieb Andreas Hartmann:

> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>> I have started to extend the docu publication and the
>> forrestDocument20 resource type with the goal of making the
>> documentation editable with Firedocs.
>
> I have to say: This rocks. A whole new editing experience. Thanks
> again to everyone who was involved in creating and integrating
> Firedocs.

Thanks a lot!

I tried to edit the docu publication (on the zones server). Is it
ready to be edited with firedocs?
I inserted the forrest Mime type for the docudesign contest page.

When I then open that document (or any other) with one form I get a
validation complaint about the document tag.

Jürgen

Re: Editing the docu with Firedocs

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Comiotto <th...@id.uzh.ch>.
Hi Andreas

>  If you're interested in taking a look at the system, I'll be happy
> to create an account and send you the XPI.

Sure I am. Send me the code.

Best regards
Thomas

Re: Editing the docu with Firedocs

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 16:13 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> > Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> >> Hi Lenya devs,
> >>
> >> I have started to extend the docu publication and the
> >> forrestDocument20 resource type with the goal of making the
> >> documentation editable with Firedocs. IMO this will further lower the
> >> barrier to improve our documentation. And if it proves useful, maybe
> >> we can invite other ASF projects to take a look at the system, present
> >> it at ApacheCon etc.?
> >>
> >> Unfortunately editing is limited to simple text changes at the moment.
> >> The editor seems to recognize the document structure (the XPath at the
> >> bottom of the page is displayed correctly), but it doesn't allow to
> >> apply any structural changes.
> >
> > Apparently this is due to the lack of a namespace. When I add a
> > namespace to the document and schema, structural editing is possible.
> >
> > I'd suggest that we add the namespace to the schema and to all
> > documentation documents. IMO this can be done incrementally, we just
> > have to add an intermediate transformation to the presentation pipeline
> > which adds the namespace where it is missing.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any inclination in the Forrest project to
> introduce a namespace (Thorsten, please correct me if I'm wrong). So I'd
> suggest that we just choose (a Lenya-specific) one, e.g.
>
>    http://apache.org/lenya/forrest

Hmm, we do not use them ATM for the doc, however we are using them in
some parts of of code.

The dispatcher e.g. uses
<forrest:views xmlns:forrest="http://apache.org/forrest/templates/1.0"
  xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0">

Maybe http://apache.org/forrest/document/v20 makes sense for our use
case (reflects best the DOCTYPE declaration).

> Should we discuss this with the Forrest project? Introducing an
> "official" Forrest namespace would make sense as soon as we promote our
> documentation solution to other projects. But we can still convert our
> documents should the occasion arise.

I cc forrest-dev.

salu2

de la Información, S.A.U. (SADESI)

Re: Editing the docu with Firedocs

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 16:13 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:

>>> Apparently this is due to the lack of a namespace. When I add a
>>> namespace to the document and schema, structural editing is possible.
>>>
>>> I'd suggest that we add the namespace to the schema and to all
>>> documentation documents. IMO this can be done incrementally, we just
>>> have to add an intermediate transformation to the presentation pipeline
>>> which adds the namespace where it is missing.
>> There doesn't seem to be any inclination in the Forrest project to
>> introduce a namespace (Thorsten, please correct me if I'm wrong). So I'd
>> suggest that we just choose (a Lenya-specific) one, e.g.
>>
>>    http://apache.org/lenya/forrest
>
> Hmm, we do not use them ATM for the doc, however we are using them in
> some parts of of code.
>
> The dispatcher e.g. uses
> <forrest:views xmlns:forrest="http://apache.org/forrest/templates/1.0"
>   xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0">
>
> Maybe http://apache.org/forrest/document/v20 makes sense for our use
> case (reflects best the DOCTYPE declaration).

Yes, this one looks good. I'll change the XSLT and schema accordingly
and update the Wiki page.

-- Andreas

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> I have started to extend the docu publication and the forrestDocument20
> resource type with the goal of making the documentation editable with
> Firedocs. IMO this will further lower the barrier to improve our
> documentation. And if it proves useful, maybe we can invite other ASF
> projects to take a look at the system, present it at ApacheCon etc.?
>
> Unfortunately editing is limited to simple text changes at the moment.
> The editor seems to recognize the document structure (the XPath at the
> bottom of the page is displayed correctly), but it doesn't allow to
> apply any structural changes.

Apparently this is due to the lack of a namespace. When I add a
namespace to the document and schema, structural editing is possible.

I'd suggest that we add the namespace to the schema and to all
documentation documents. IMO this can be done incrementally, we just
have to add an intermediate transformation to the presentation pipeline
which adds the namespace where it is missing.

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO