Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2018/05/01 11:07:22 UTC

Second MNG-6386

Folks,

who seconds MNG-6386 for 3.5.4 which I have found during SCM-877.
${project.baseUri} is an invalid URL. NIO2 offers a solution for that.

Michael

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
There is a preliminary test in [1] and the failure in [2].

The best I can do is to leave the IT as-is, put a max boundary 3.5.4)
and add a new IT for the Path solution. The unit test would be
assertFalse() accompanied with a new test for this issue.

Moreover, I will check for baseUri.startsWith("file:///") because
everything else is dynamic.

Note: this issue isn't related to Windows only, but Unix too.
Funny fact, Git fails also:
PS D:\Entwicklung\Projekte> git clone
file:///D:/Entwicklung/git-repos/toll tlll2
Cloning into 'tlll2'...
warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.
PS D:\Entwicklung\Projekte> git clone
file:/D:/Entwicklung/git-repos/toll tlll2
Cloning into 'tlll2'...
ssh: Could not resolve hostname file: Name or service not known

and the repository exists.
PS D:\Entwicklung\Projekte>

[1]
https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/b10e8b5089a5ad3d7d29d649638adca91ec8de6d#diff-b0d22c4444c54350aef9f53a9472a674R1092-
[2]
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/MNG-6386/2/testReport/junit/org.apache.maven.project/PomConstructionTest/testInterpolationOfValidBaseUri/

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
+1

Robert

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sat 5 May 2018 at 09:13, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2018-05-05 um 09:15 schrieb Stephen Connolly:

> https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/43b34598629f086523a333dc18665389643832a5

> https://github.com/apache/maven-integration-testing/commit/5e18bb18784585dfc822038f5229785d439c677b
> >>
> >> Robert,
> >>
> >> done some more digging and added unit and integration tests to it:
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/9d29bb4d91e9545a9b5bc2957646ad42d5add210
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/maven-integration-testing/commit/1f4912cda5f49b6ba36a2693bb5c1701ea4d9b86
> >>
> >> Though, the IT reasonably runs on Unix if UTF-8 is set as file.encoding.
> >> I have also updated the ticket with more description.
> >>
> >> I think that this issue should be pushed to 3.6.0.
> >

> > Unclear why you think it should be dropped from 3.5.4. We’re not changing
> > an API, only fixing a bug...
>
> This fix introduces a change in behavior. It might be unexpected in a
> fix release. If we are still OK for 3.5.4 then I am fine too.

Well if we are worried about any change in behaviour then we shouldn’t make
any changes ever.

The question is whether this is “significant”.

One of my objections to semver is that it only focuses on APIs... so under
semver:

1. No breaking API method signature changes => no major version bump
2. No new API methods => no minor version bump
3. Must be patch

Now in the case of Maven, I argue for semver is a poor fit, largely because
we have multiple APIs, SPIs and UIs each of which have different measures
of breaking changes... but we only have one version number

We need to get 3.5.4 with the jansi fix out... simple bug fixes are fine
for 3.5.4 too.

then we focus on the next version (3.6.x or 4.0.x) and move on... but we
need to move the baseline to Java 8 at this stage and get Java 10 support
better (both of which i’d like to see in a 4.0.x so if we are missing those
then it would be 3.6.x)

> Michael

Sent from my phone

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu 3 May 2018 at 22:10, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2018-05-02 um 10:41 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> > I don't see a new test[1][2], only rewrites to confirm there's no
> > regression.
> >
> > I understand the issue, but we just need to be sure that nobody in the
> > future thinks that File.toURI() is short for File.toPath().toUri()
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/43b34598629f086523a333dc18665389643832a5
> >
> > [2]
> >
> https://github.com/apache/maven-integration-testing/commit/5e18bb18784585dfc822038f5229785d439c677b
>
> Robert,
>
> done some more digging and added unit and integration tests to it:
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/9d29bb4d91e9545a9b5bc2957646ad42d5add210
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven-integration-testing/commit/1f4912cda5f49b6ba36a2693bb5c1701ea4d9b86
>
> Though, the IT reasonably runs on Unix if UTF-8 is set as file.encoding.
> I have also updated the ticket with more description.
>
> I think that this issue should be pushed to 3.6.0.

Unclear why you think it should be dropped from 3.5.4. We’re not changing
an API, only fixing a bug...

> Are those tests sufficient for you?
>
> Michael
> > On Tue, 01 May 2018 23:22:59 +0200, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>
>
> > wrote:

> >> No, it doesn't on Windows. File#toURI() is broken. Please see the
> >> issue description.
> >>
> >> The current behavior will give with SCM:
> >> PS D:\Entwicklung\Projekte\maven-scm> svn ls
> >> file:/D:/Entwicklung/svn-repos/scm-svn-test-at-sign
> >> svn: E020024: Error resolving case of
> >> 'file:\D:\Entwicklung\svn-repos\scm-svn-test-at-sign'
> >>
> >> while the proper (new) havior will produce a valid URI:
> >> PS D:\Entwicklung\Projekte\maven-scm> svn ls
> >> file:///D:/Entwicklung/svn-repos/scm-svn-test-at-sign
> >> branches/
> >> tags/
> >> trunk/
> >>
> >> See also [1] and [2] on the wrong implementation of File#toURI().

> >> That's right. I have added a test, it should fail on Windows. Before
> >> merging back to trunk, I'd adapt for Windows and Unix-like.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>
> >> [1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/17870390/696632
> >> [2]
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2006/12/06/file-uris-in-windows/

Sent from my phone

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Second MNG-6386

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

to me it looks like the tests don't proof there's an issue.

I only see that testDir.toURI() being replaced with
testDir.toPath().toUri() while the actual value stays the same.
I would expect at least one new test that fails now, but will succeed with
the change.

thanks,
Robert