Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Sean Gilligan <se...@catalla.com> on 2005/12/14 23:24:01 UTC

Proposal: Adding RSD to Roller 2.1

Hello Rollers,

Hacking the templates for each blog is a hassle:
http://www.rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=AddRSDSupport

It would be nice if RSD support was built-in to Roller.

I added a proposal to the Wiki in the "Proposals without commitments"
section:
http://www.rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_RSDSupport

If I get a little bit of advice/direction, I'll move it to the
"Proposals with commitments" and try to submit a patch.

I'm looking for feedback/issues on the RSD template hack and
feedback/advice on the RSD Proposal.

Where I'm really hoping for some advice is how to add the RSD page as a
URL and how to dynamically generate the page.  My guess is by adding a
servlet in org.roller.presentation.velocity and extending BasePageServlet...

Thanks,

Sean

Re: Proposal: Adding RSD to Roller 2.1

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
It looks like FlavorServlet allows me to add RSD with no change to the
Java code...

Re: Proposal: Adding RSD to Roller 2.1

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
Hi Allen,

Thanks for the response!  I found the FlavorServlet and implemented RSD
support without having to modify any Java code.  We could still modify
the FlavorServlet if we wanted a simpler URL for rsd.

I updated my Proposal to include the Velocity code that I wrote:
http://www.rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_RSDSupport

When you say that a new RSDServlet would be more lightweight than
FlavorServlet you must mean in terms of its demands on the database,
right?   Since the RSD file will probably only be read when someone is
posting to their blog (or configuring a posting tool) the extra DB
access shouldn't  be an issue.

What do you mean by caching separation?

Since I'm a Roller newbie, I'm going to try to quit while I'm ahead.  If
the committers really want an RSDServlet and you don't feel like writing
it, I'll do it, because I'd really like to see RSD support get added to
the base (so I don't have to maintain it separately.)  Also, if you
write the servlet, I'm more than willing to test it.

Regards,

Sean

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
Sean,