Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org> on 2015/05/01 06:44:21 UTC

Re: Troubles with HDFS policies

Hi Loïc

Thanks for the feedback.

I think, you are referring to the Hortonworks documentation.

We have a place holder in Apache Ranger Wiki site for user guide. We can
start working on it. If you can give your confluence id, we can give you
edit permission.

Thanks

Bosco

From:  Chanel Loïc <lo...@worldline.com>
Date:  Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 1:32 AM
To:  "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  RE: Troubles with HDFS policies

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.
I just created my account on JIRA.
My user ID is the same than in Confluence : bartimeux.

Regards,

Loïc

Loïc CHANEL
Engineering student at TELECOM Nancy
Trainee at Worldline - Villeurbanne

From:  Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>
Date:  Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 7:52 AM
To:  "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.
Hi,

From:  Chanel Loïc <lo...@worldline.com>
Date:  Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 6:33 AM
To:  "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

> Hi Bosco,
>
> I wrote some paragraphs on the page
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Ranger+User+Guide
> As I only worked on Ranger and HDFS for now, it is the first part I created,
> but I will document the other components in the upcoming weeks.
> Feel free to make any remarks, and to tell me if this suits you.
>
> In the meantime, I noticed some missing things and typo in Ranger Hortonworks
> documentation. Can I help improving it somehow ?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Loïc

Check hdfs dfs -ls $folderName. In the case of HDFS, if Ranger doesn't find any permission in it's policy database, then it falls back to HDFS permission check. So make sure in the HDFS level, you have 700 or even 000 for the given folder and manage all the permissions via Ranger. We recommend pick all relevant folders (e.g Hive data warehouse folder) and do hdfs dfs -chown -R hdfs:hdfs $folderName and hdfs dfs -chmod 000 -R $folderName.

From: Chanel Loïc <lo...@worldline.com>>
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 5:24 AM
To: "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org<ma...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Troubles with HDFS policies