Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Bobby Evans <bo...@apache.org> on 2012/09/07 21:56:04 UTC

[VOTE] 0.23.3 release

I have built an RC0 for 0.23.3 and am calling a vote on it

You can download the signed packages from:
http://people.apache.org/~bobby/hadoop-0.23.3-candidate-0/

It is tagged under svn at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-0.23.3-rc0

Please kick the tires and let me know if I missed anything, this is
the first time I am doing a release.

As per the bylaws the vote will be open for 7 days and will end Friday Sep 14th.

I am a +1 (non-binding)

--Bobby Evans

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I'll try to pull that into 0.23.4

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1  (binding)

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Amending to +1 non-binding.  We can fix the minor regression in 23.4.

I've used the RC to run jobs on a secure cluster (with and w/o oozie), and used distcp to copy between combos of hdfs & hftp (with and w/o oozie).  I've encountered no problems after my long slog to shore up tokens.

Daryn

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Rajiv Chittajallu <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

deployed this release to our sandbox cluster, passed validations.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Verified checksums and signatures.
- Verified source is buildable including native.
- Ran sleep and wordcount jobs on a single-node, insecure cluster.

Jason

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.

+1
I have verified all signatures and message digests, and run a few tests on hdfs and webhdfs.  Thanks.

Tsz-Wo

________________________________

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non binding)

I downloaded and ran a pseudo-distributed cluster, and ran a
successful Pi compute job.

--
Harsh J

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Siddharth Seth <se...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding).

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
 - Downloaded the sources, checked the signature, digests.
 - Build the packages: mvn clean package -Pdist -Dtar -DskipTests
 - Untar the tarballls, start NN, DN, RM and NM
 - Ran dist-shell application successfully.
 - Ran a MR job successfully.

+1 (binding).

Thanks for holding the fort, Bobby!

Thanks,
+Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] release branching scheme under maven was [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I forked the thread, because it is not really about the release vote any
more, although we both seem to be on the same page so this may be overkill
:)

On 9/10/12 3:50 PM, "Owen O'Malley" <om...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>
>wrote:
>> Thanks for the info Owen I was not aware of that, I can see at the
>> beginning of the twiki
>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePostMavenization that it is
>>kind
>> of implied by the skip this section comment.  But, I was just confused
>> because to do an official release I need to change the version number in
>> several different places, and I didn¹t think that is was all that kosher
>> to do that directly in the tags area.
>
>Please don't make edits in the tags area.

Totally concur on that.

>>  It also seems to be a bit different
>> then what is happening on branch-2.
>
>Branch 2 also has issues, which we've also been ironing out. The
>branch-2.0.1-alpha and branch-2.0.2-alpha will be deleted soon.

Sounds good.

>> I was planning on deleting the branch once the vote for 0.23.3 finished,
>
>That would be fine.
>
>> but I can delete it now if you would prefer and the roll back the
>>version
>> numbers on branch-0.23 to be 0.23.3? Or would it be 0.23.3-SNAPSHOT
>>still?
>
>You can wait for 0.23.3 to clean up. The only odd part of that is that
>the 0.23.3 tag won't be on the branch-0.23.

Yes that is ugly.  I agree.

>With Ant, we could just override the version on the command line.
>Clearly Maven is a little pickier. You could:
>1. Set the version to 0.23.3
>2. Check in
>3. Make the tag
>4. Set the version to 0.23.4-SNAPSHOT
>5. Check in
>
>I'd also be ok with just waiting with 4+5 until the vote passes.
>Thoughts? (Of course as discussed this would be more about 0.23.4 :) )

I am fine with either way.  If we do go all they way to 5 and there are
blockers that force a re-spin of the RC then we are back to creating a new
branch off of the original tag to make changes and we get a tag that is
not off of branch-X.Y. But, if we don't go all the way to 5 then the
branch must stay locked for a week, which is not the end of the world, but
in some cases will slow down development a little.  It is a balancing
game, but I don't see major drawbacks to either situation.

>>  I also want to be sure that we want to not allow anyone to check
>>anything
>> in for a week+ on branch-0.23.  There are a few things I know of that
>>are
>> almost ready but are not Blockers.
>
>Sure. That makes sense.
>
>-- Owen

--Bobby

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Thanks for the info Owen I was not aware of that, I can see at the
beginning of the twiki
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePostMavenization that it is kind
of implied by the skip this section comment.  But, I was just confused
because to do an official release I need to change the version number in
several different places, and I didn¹t think that is was all that kosher
to do that directly in the tags area.  It also seems to be a bit different
then what is happening on branch-2.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-2/

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-2.0.1-alpha/

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-2.0.2-alpha/

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (binding)

I downloaded the source tar ball, built, set up a pseudo cluster, and ran a
few example jobs. All looked good. I also verified the signatures.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
For .22 release I used
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease
But it is the same as in HowToReleasePostMavenization

Under "Updating Release Branch" step #3 you will find a hint
to generate releasenotes. I say "hint" because it is not as straightforward
as it is supposed to be. People forget adding fix versions or put earlier
version if jira was ported.
Don't hesitate to ask, if you will need help.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Konstantin,

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Jonathan Eagles <je...@gmail.com>.
+1 Source tar builds and example run from this release.

Jon

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding)

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Philip Su <ph...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (non-binding)
Passed QE functional and regression testing on 20 node secure clusters at
Yahoo.

Phil

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (non-binding)
Downloaded, built and ran examples on a single node cluster.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I am in the process of doing that.  The twiki said I should wait 24 hours
for Nexus to propagate the release to all of the mirrors. I waited a bit
more then 24 hours.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1. Verified checksums and signatures, builds from source tar, ran some
tests on
single node cluster without security. +1.

Tom