Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/26 17:56:44 UTC

Recommended procedure for fixing hash file syntax

What is the recommended procedure for fixing hash files in a Maven
repo that have the wrong syntax?

For example:

file.tar.gz.sha1:
file.tar.gz: B886 07FA D17D 06C2 7D67  01D6 E7E6 56BB 52F3
                                 3B4C

The hash is correct, but not all tools can process the hash when it is
split over two lines and has spaces in the hex string.

Any advice?

Re: Recommended procedure for fixing hash file syntax

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
Use Nexus and run rebuild maven metadata.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 29/04/2010, at 10:50 PM, sebb wrote:

> On 29/04/2010, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> The correct one for reporting problems (vs new uploads) is: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV
>>
>> In general, you want to make sure it is fixed at the source first if it's an imported forge like Apache's.
>
> So, is the correct procedure as follows:
>
> 1) Update the hash files on the imported repository, in this case the
> Apache release repo.
> 2) Raise an MEV JIRA issue to get the hashes updated on the central repo.
>
> Or have I misunderstood something?

That would work. Though we expect that to be a really rare occurrence, and starting to use repository managers for the forges means they should never make it to central with bad hashes in the first place...

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Recommended procedure for fixing hash file syntax

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Juven Xu <ju...@sonatype.com>.
> [...]

> >  > >  > >  > And is that procedure permitted by the central repo rules?
> >  > >  > >  >
> >  > >  > >  > >  For example:
> >  > >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  > >   file.tar.gz.sha1:
> >  > >  > >  > >   file.tar.gz: B886 07FA D17D 06C2 7D67  01D6 E7E6 56BB
> 52F3
> >  > >  > >  > >                                  3B4C
> >  > >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  > >  The hash is correct, but not all tools can process the
> hash
> >  > when it
> >  > >  > is
> >  > >  > >  > >  split over two lines and has spaces in the hex string.
> >  > >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  > > Any advice on how best to fix this?
> >  > >  > >  > >  Can I just replace the hash files in the Apache release

- juven

Re: Recommended procedure for fixing hash file syntax

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
OK thanks very much.

Posted by Juven Xu <ju...@sonatype.com>.
> [...]

> propagated to
> >  > >  > the central repo?
> >  > >  > And is that procedure permitted by the central repo rules?
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > >  For example:
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >   file.tar.gz.sha1:
> >  > >  > >   file.tar.gz: B886 07FA D17D 06C2 7D67  01D6 E7E6 56BB 52F3
> >  > >  > >                                  3B4C
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  The hash is correct, but not all tools can process the hash
> when it
> >  > is
> >  > >  > >  split over two lines and has spaces in the hex string.
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > > Any advice on how best to fix this?
> >  > >  > >  Can I just replace the hash files in the Apache release

- juven

Re: Recommended procedure for fixing hash file syntax

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juven Xu <ju...@sonatype.com>.
> [...]

> >  >
> >  > If I update the hashes in the release repo will these be propagated to
> >  > the central repo?
> >  > And is that procedure permitted by the central repo rules?
> >  >
> >  > >  For example:
> >  > >
> >  > >   file.tar.gz.sha1:
> >  > >   file.tar.gz: B886 07FA D17D 06C2 7D67  01D6 E7E6 56BB 52F3
> >  > >                                  3B4C
> >  > >
> >  > >  The hash is correct, but not all tools can process the hash when it
> is
> >  > >  split over two lines and has spaces in the hex string.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > Any advice on how best to fix this?
> >  > >  Can I just replace the hash files in the Apache release repository

- juven

Re: Recommended procedure for fixing hash file syntax

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juven Xu <ju...@sonatype.com>.
you can use these shell scripts:

find . -type f | xargs -i sh -c 'sha1sum {} | cut -d " " -f1 > {}.sha1'
find . -type f | xargs -i sh -c 'md5sum {} | cut -d " " -f1 > {}.md5'

release artifacts and their hashes in central will never be updated unless
manual fix is needed
if your artifacts' hashes in central are incorrect, tell me what are them so
I can fix.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/04/2010, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is the recommended procedure for fixing hash files in a Maven
> >  repo that have the wrong syntax?
>
> I have seen the reply about using Nexus, but if the project does not
> use Nexus, what is the procedure?
>
> If I update the hashes in the release repo will these be propagated to
> the central repo?
> And is that procedure permitted by the central repo rules?
>
> >  For example:
> >
> >   file.tar.gz.sha1:
> >   file.tar.gz: B886 07FA D17D 06C2 7D67  01D6 E7E6 56BB 52F3
> >                                  3B4C
> >
> >  The hash is correct, but not all tools can process the hash when it is
> >  split over two lines and has spaces in the hex string.
> >

> > Any advice on how best to fix this?
> >  Can I just replace the hash files in the Apache release repository
> >  with the fixed versions?

- juven

Re: Recommended procedure for fixing hash file syntax

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.