Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> on 2002/07/31 20:37:28 UTC

Merge is adding files before parent directory

Hello

While experimenting with merge I ran into a problem with merge adding
files before adding the parent directory.

rm -rf /tmp/repo /tmp/wc
svnadmin create /tmp/repo
svn mkdir file:///tmp/repo/trunk
svn mkdir file:///tmp/repo/trunk/zig
svn mkdir file:///tmp/repo/branches
svn cp file:///tmp/repo/trunk file:///tmp/repo/branches/x1
svn mkdir file:///tmp/repo/trunk/zig/zag
svn co file:///tmp/repo /tmp/wc
echo foo >> /tmp/wc/trunk/zig/zag/foo
svn add /tmp/wc/trunk/zig/zag/foo
svn ci -m "" /tmp/wc
svn up /tmp/wc
svn merge -r5:HEAD file:///tmp/repo/trunk /tmp/wc/branches/x1

The merge fails with

../svn/subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c:225
apr_error: #2, src_err 0 : <No such file or directory>
  svn_io_copy_file: copying tmp.2096.00001 to /tmp/wc/branches/x1/zig/zag/foo

and indeed the zag directory has not been created.  I tried over
ra_dav, I tried cd'ing into the working copy and merging to '.', it
makes no difference.

If I manually run 'svn mkdir /tmp/wc/branches/x1/zig/zag' before the
merge then the file foo does get merged.

I thought merge was supposed to add a directory before adding the
files in the directory.  I can't imagine how else it could operate.
Did this ever work?

--
Philip Martin

Re: Merge is adding files before parent directory

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> svn merge -r5:HEAD file:///tmp/repo/trunk /tmp/wc/branches/x1

Sorry, can't count :-(

svn merge -r4:HEAD file:///tmp/repo/trunk /tmp/wc/branches/x1

works as expected.

Philip - damn, where that "get my mail back" button