Posted to users@maven.apache.org by th...@gmail.com on 2006/03/09 17:57:39 UTC

release:prepare errors

 I can not get the *releases:prepare* command to work.
I am using maven 2.0.2. Subversion 1.2.4.
Also, it seems that the release:prepare is checkin the generated pom.xml to
my trunk. Is that suppose to happen?

I can do a command line for the svn copy.

mvn -e release:prepare -
Dproject.scm.developerConnection=scm:svn:svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/trunk
-DtagBase=svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/tags -Dusername=UN
-Dpassword=UN_PW

+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'release'.
[INFO]

[INFO] Building Unnamed - my-proj:TestMaven:jar:2.3-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]    task-segment: [release:prepare] (aggregator-style)
[INFO]
[INFO] [release:prepare]
[INFO] What tag name should be used?
RB_TAGS1_0
[INFO] Verifying there are no local modifications ...
[INFO] Checking lineage for snapshots ...
[INFO] Checking dependencies for snapshots ...
[INFO] Checking plugins for snapshots ...
[INFO] What is the release version for 'my-proj:TestMaven'? [2.3]

[INFO] Checking in modified POMs
[INFO] Tagging release with the label RB_TAGS1_0.
Provider message:
The svn tag command failed.
*Command output:
svn: Cannot copy path '.' into its own child
'scm:svn:svn:/css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/tags/RB_TAGS1_0' *

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] An error is occurred in the tag process.

Embedded error: Error!
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: An error is occurred
in the tag process.
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:556)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java :485)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:455)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java :303)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:216)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java :139)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke (
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java
:315)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch (Launcher.java:255)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java
:430)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException : An error is
occurred in the tag process.
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.PrepareReleaseMojo.tagRelease(
PrepareReleaseMojo.java:1414)
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.PrepareReleaseMojo.execute (
PrepareReleaseMojo.java:246)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(
DefaultPluginManager.java:415)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java :531)
        ... 16 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.scm.ScmException: Error!
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.helpers.ScmHelper.checkResult(
ScmHelper.java:124)
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.helpers.ScmHelper.tag (
ScmHelper.java:226)
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.PrepareReleaseMojo.tagRelease(
PrepareReleaseMojo.java:1410)
        ... 19 more
[INFO]

[INFO] Total time: 15 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Mar 09 09:37:01 CST 2006
[INFO] Final Memory: 3M/126M
[INFO]

*HERE IS MY ORIGINAL POM*

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>my-proj</groupId>
  <artifactId>TestMaven</artifactId>
  <version>2.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
<description></description>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>
  <scm>

<connection>scm:svn:svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/trunk</connection>

<developerConnection>scm:svn:svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/trunk</developerConnection>
  </scm>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>3.8.1</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>^M
   <build>^M
    <pluginManagement>
      <plugins>
        <plugin>
          <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
          <configuration>

<tagBase>scm:svn:svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/tags</tagBase>
          </configuration>
        </plugin>
      </plugins>
    </pluginManagement>
  </build>
</project>

Re: release:prepare errors

Posted by Yann Le Du <le...@gmail.com>.
I believe <tagBase> should be svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/tags
(without scm stuff)
Anyway, in your case you wouldn''t need to set it, since default is ../tags

Re: release:prepare errors

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 3/10/06, thenew05@gmail.com <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The pom in the scm, I then check out the project then, I can run maven from
> the work directory.
>
> Then the release:prepare replaces the current pom with the tag pom that is
> generated.
>
> Can someone help with this problem?
>
> Thanks,

Caveat: I have not done any of this yet, we are nowhere near needing
to build a release, however I scraped this off the list somewhere so I
am including it here in case it offers you any help.  I have no idea
whether the release plugin has had the known issues fixed. I would
suggest checking JIRA.

Notes I have collected follow:
-----------------
Given that the mvn release:prepare / perform still has known major issues.

Does anyone out there have a reliable method for doing a manual release. e.g .

1) Can you just do a search and replace

       <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
replace with
       <version>1.0</version>

    I guess you have to look at each dependency first ?

2) Then check into SCM

3) Then do you do a CVS label / tag

4) Then do you do a second search and replace for <version>1.0<

       <version>1.0</version>
         replace with
       <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>

   Again I guess you have to look at all dependencies first ?

5) Then check into SCM again ?

Any thoughts on how to semi automate the replace steps ? or at least
document how to do a manual mvn release.

Re: release:prepare errors

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
tagBase must be a real svn url and not a maven-scm url, it's the url to access to tags directory in
your svn

If you declare it in configuration of release plugin in your pom, you won't need to declare it on
command line

you don't need to declare the connection url to use, release plugin will use url define in your pom

With this declare in your pom, you run release prepare like this:
mvn -Dusername=USERNAME -Dpassword=PASSWORD release:prepare

Don't ommit to remove release.properties before re-run it.

I'm not sure username/password works correctly with actual released version of release plugin, but
version in svn works correctly.

Emmanuel

thenew05@gmail.com a écrit :
> The pom in the scm, I then check out the project then, I can run maven from
> the work directory.
>
> Then the release:prepare replaces the current pom with the tag pom that is
> generated.
>
> Can someone help with this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>

> On 3/9/06, Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It is, poms should always be stored in your scm repository instead of
>>any proprietary IDE projects.
>>
>>On 3/9/06, thenew05@gmail.com <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I believe I am overwriting the pom tagBase with the command line for the
>>>tagBase!

>>pom.xmlto my trunk. Is that suppose to happen?

>>Dproject.scm.developerConnection=scm:svn:svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/trunk

>>org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(

>>org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal

>>org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures

>>org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(

>>(

>>:322)

>>:115)

>>Launcher.java

>>:255)

>>is

>>org.apache.maven.plugins.release.PrepareReleaseMojo.tagRelease(

>>org.apache.maven.plugins.release.helpers.ScmHelper.checkResult(

>>org.apache.maven.plugins.release.PrepareReleaseMojo.tagRelease(

>><connection>scm:svn:svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/trunk</connection>
>>

>><developerConnection>scm:svn:svn://css-paps/tmpSetup/projectName/trunk</developerConnection>

>>--
>>Alexandre Poitras
>>Québec, Canada

Re: release:prepare errors