Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by "St Clair S. Clarke" <st...@flowja.com> on 2010/05/27 16:27:53 UTC

Adding a baseDN with GroovyLdap

Hello,

I am attempting to add a baseDN using ApacheDS and Eclipse, but have
been failing miserable.

Below is the attempt.   I would love it if you could help.

package snippets.security.ldap.groovyldap.add

import org.apache.directory.groovyldap.LDAP

class AddEntryDemo
{

    static main( args)
    {
        def ldap = LDAP.newInstance('ldap://localhost:10389', 'uid=admin, ou=system' ,'secret')

        // add the baseDN as a valid name entry
        def baseDNAttrs = [ objectclass: ['top', 'ou'], sn: 'dc=epims dc=biz', cn: 'epims' ]
        ldap.add( 'ou: epims dc=epims dc=biz', baseDNAttrs)

        assert ! ldap.exists('cn=Heather Nova, dc=epims, dc=biz') // checks for previous entry with this dn

        // define the attributes as a map
        def attrs = [ objectclass: ['top', 'person'], sn: 'Nova', cn: 'Heather Nova' ]

        ldap.add( 'cn=Heather Nova, dc=epims, dc=biz', attrs)

        assert ldap.exists('cn=Heather Nova, dc=epims, dc=com')

    }

}

Dr. St Clair S. Clarke (M.B.B.S; D.M. (General Surgery) )
Head, General Surgery Department
Spanish Town General Hospital
Burk Road,
Spanish Town
St Catherine
Jamaica

Phone:(876) 984-3030/5
Phone:(876) 984-4670/2
Phone:(876) 749-2213 (Direct)
Fax:(876) 749-2213

Mobile: (876) 303-6177
Email: st_clair@flowja.com
Skype: st.clair.clarke

Re: Adding a baseDN with GroovyLdap

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.
St Clair S. Clarke wrote:

> I am attempting to add a baseDN using ApacheDS and Eclipse, but have
> been failing miserable.

I assume that you have an ApacheDS up and running, and are able to
connect from Groovy LDAP, i.e.

def ldap = LDAP.newInstance('ldap://localhost:10389', 'uid=admin,
ou=system' ,'secret')

works without an error.

As far as I understand your requirement, you plan to add a suffix,
"dc=epims, dc=com", and an entry below that.

Apache Directory Server comes with a default suffix "dc=example,dc=com"
for demonstration purposes, which maps to a partition (a data store)
within the configuration.

You therefore have to add a partition for your "dc=epims, dc=com". It is
not quite common to accomplish this administration task programmatically
(exception: an emedded server).

See details here

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/143-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html

Please note that this line

def baseDNAttrs = [ objectclass: ['top', 'ou'], sn: 'dc=epims dc=biz',
cn: 'epims' ]

does not make sense, because sn is an attribute type reprsesenting the
surname of a person.

Hope this helps,
     StefanZ