Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tosh Cooey <to...@1200group.com> on 2009/12/09 14:11:39 UTC

[users@httpd] Creating authorized virtual directories

I don't know if "virtual directory" is the proper word but here's what I
am trying to accomplish.

My web site has three directories: /images /css /js

The site will have multiple clients: client1, client2..clientN, with
each client having their own users.

I want to give each client their own "directory":

http://www.site.com/client1
http://www.site.com/client2
http://www.site.com/clientN

Since N can be very high it makes no sense to have actual physical
directories with DBI Authentication in each.

I had hoped to be able to use DirectoryMatch like this:

<DirectoryMatch "/www/htdocs/!(images|css|js)/(.+)$">
   AuthType MyAUTH
</DirectoryMatch>

But that's not possible since /www/htdocs/client1..N doesn't actually
exist and so 404 is thrown.

The options I have come up with are:

1) Create an Authentication handler right in the ROOT directory which
gives requests to images|css|js a 200 and all other requests are passed
to Authentication handlers.

2) A custom 404 handler but I'm unsure how it would handle the
Authentication unless it was itself an Authentication handler.  Is this
even possible?

3) A mod_rewrite monstrosity, but I'm also unsure how Authentication
would be handled since Auth has to be performed on an existing resource.

Has anyone ever done something similar before?  What was the direction
you chose?  Even the right terminology to google would be helpful...

Thank-you all!

Tosh

--
McIntosh Cooey - Twelve Hundred Group LLC - http://www.1200group.com/

RE: [users@httpd] On 64 bit AIX 6.1 Apache 2.2.14 Not Responding

Posted by Brian Gaber <Br...@tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca>.
> Did you ensure that the Listen directive is set?

I left the default which is:

Listen 80

Re: [users@httpd] On 64 bit AIX 6.1 Apache 2.2.14 Not Responding

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.

Norman Registered Linux user #461062 -Have you been to www.apache.org yet?-

Re: [users@httpd] On 64 bit AIX 6.1 Apache 2.2.14 Not Responding

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Brian Gaber
<Br...@tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca> wrote:

>        Compiled using this environment:
>
> export CC="xlc -q64"
> export CFLAGS="-qmaxmem=16384 -DSYSV -D_AIX61 -D_ALL_SOURCE
> -DFUNCPROTO=15 -O -I/opt/freeware/include"
> export CXX="xlC"
> export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
> export LD=ld
> export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/freeware/lib"
> export OBJECT_MODE=64

Search for "aix_xlc_optimization.patch" for the workaround

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

[users@httpd] On 64 bit AIX 6.1 Apache 2.2.14 Not Responding