Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Bill Speirs <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/02 16:18:32 UTC

Async HTTP Re-Write

In looking at the SVN log for the past few days, I've noticed messages like:

1163256: Complete rewrite of core async HTTP protocol handlers
(initial cut, server side only)
1164047: Complete rewrite of core async HTTP protocol handlers (client
side protocol handler)
1164406: Complete rewrite of core async HTTP protocol handlers (async
request executor)

I realize I can look at the code and see the changes, but I'm
wondering if there was a road-map or documentation on what this
re-write is looking to accomplish. Rev 1163256 for example includes a
number of new classes and modifications.

Also, all of these changes are done by Oleg... is there anything you
need from the community as far as help on this effort?

Thanks...

Bill-

Re: Async HTTP Re-Write

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 10:18 -0400, Bill Speirs wrote:
> In looking at the SVN log for the past few days, I've noticed messages like:
>
> 1163256: Complete rewrite of core async HTTP protocol handlers
> (initial cut, server side only)
> 1164047: Complete rewrite of core async HTTP protocol handlers (client
> side protocol handler)
> 1164406: Complete rewrite of core async HTTP protocol handlers (async
> request executor)
>
> I realize I can look at the code and see the changes, but I'm
> wondering if there was a road-map or documentation on what this
> re-write is looking to accomplish. Rev 1163256 for example includes a
> number of new classes and modifications.
>
> Also, all of these changes are done by Oleg... is there anything you
> need from the community as far as help on this effort?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill-

Bill et al

I am sorry I should have probably dropped a message to the list prior to
starting the refactoring. The rewrite will only affect high level
protocol handling code (which is approximately 20% of HttpCore NIO
code). The transport layer components will not be affected.

While working on the asynchronous version of HttpClient
(HttpAsyncClient) clientI came to realize that the client side async
protocol handlers in HttpCore NIO were basically useless and just too
cumbersome. I am currently in the process of moving generic bits of code
initially developed in HttpAsyncClient to HttpCore. I also felt it was
necessary to improve the server side components and make their API
consistent with that of the client side components.

As soon as the new protocol handlers are more or less stable and
examples of the new API are available, I am going to invite the
community to review the changes, try out the new protocol handling API
and give me feedback or propose alternative solutions. Just bear with me
for a few more days. There will be plenty of opportunities to jump in
and help shape the new API.

Cheers

Oleg