Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Th...@perficient.com on 2006/07/04 03:36:02 UTC

Re: question regarding sequence of header processing in synapse

Frederick,
  It seems that it is not a matter of whether it can be done, but whether
it should be done. As far as I can tell from what you have submitted, the
intermediaries must be able to a) process the headers at all, ie we must
have some kind of paradigm implemented where the headers are recognizable,
and b) The intermediaries must contain logic necessary to be able to
process the multiple headers, in varying order, according to a changing
set of criteria. This we have established. My problem is that you are
saying that the criteria is being established by a client application who
is detailing to the service provider how a message is to be processed.
This should not happen for many reasons. 1) It is a major security breach
because you expose the entirety of you intermediary services to the
outside world which is offering a buffet of information to potential
intruders. 2) The client application thickens considerably in that now
dynamic changes over time must be accounted for at this remote layer. 3)
If it comes to pass that we must implement a custom processing scheme at
the intermediary layer, it is best to isolate this programming and make it
applicable to other clients, many of which may not yet exist. When you
couple this client and this intermediary, you essentially bar expansion on
both sides of the river.
 It comes down to who commands the processing sequence.
 Service providers and supporting intermediaries dictate  the sequence in
which processing should occur and the current aim is to move away from any
dependence on the client in this decision-making process because it
defeats the concept of the Enterprise Service Bus altogether to house this
understanding outside the service provider layer and its immediate
supporting applications. This actually is a throwback to the whole
interface concept in C++, CORBA, and later java, I want to expose an
interface but telling the client the details regarding my application
causes problems. If I begin telling clients how to route mesages, where
does it end? How do I add useful capabilities to my service provider layer
without breaking the coupling between client and server. In my humble
opinion, I think that what you should be focusing on here is declarative
coupling between service providers and dynamic routing of messages after
they enter some type of intermediary gateway which is charged with the
responsibility of message routing based on a policy. So we A) isolate the
clients according to whatever WSDL has been published, but the client is
blind to everything but the essential requirements. b) We implement a
gateway intermediary that accepts the client invocation and applies a
policy. even if this triggers a header rewrite, which is fine as long as
it is stripped when going outside of a secure paradigm, C) implement
supporting intermediaries that route according to the policy established.
Thus, the intermediaries route based on the invocation, and the policy
applies to the invocation alone. Consider, you said you may want to log,
verify, and de-encrypt, or perform some other useful action, do we do this
on the client, or on the invocation itself? If a client says do this, how
do I implement the policy and be secure, and if I implement the policy to
ensure verification or de-encryption for example, then I don't need the
client to specify anything for me. All in all, it seems the same steps
must be applied in either case so eliminating the client dependency is the
correct move in terms of design.
The usual response here is what about differentiation of clients, ie- one
client requires said security while another does not. In this case, it
makes no sense to deal with the header issue either because the coming
standards for WSI interoperability and highly detailed WSDLs will
eventually mandate seperate operation signatures and port urls, which will
then use URL rewriting to realign on the back end when invoking the same
service. So, we seem to be agreed here that you have to develop custom
intermediaries. However, in this revised case, you move the responsibility
from the client to the first intermediary and end up with a much more
scaleable application. I think if you look at some of the more mainstream
ESB based products you will see this multi-step protocols trying to
establish this paradigm. Particular examples are SOA appiances such as
datapower and reactivity, and the more scaleable ESB products such as BEA
and websphere. If I am completely wrong here, please forgive me, everyone
misfires. I just spend some time trying to get a grip on the client layer
design issues and the scaleability problems of your description and have
to wonder if perhaps there was a more eloquent way to solve this very
important issue.
-Thomas

Re: question regarding sequence of header processing in synapse

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Frederik Juchart wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thank you very much for your answer and detailed feedback.
> I agree that it is a very bad idea to have the client dictate the
> routing (as in now obsolete WS-Routing standard) as this introduces
> all of the problems and scalability issues described in your submission.
> That is why I plan to introduce a new routing header which is inserted
> by the client and only says something like "i want this message to be
> treated according to routing process A" (actually it only contains the
> URI of the process).
> Process A must already have been defined in an external BPEL-process -
> yes I would like to define routing information as bpel processes. So
> each intermediary may inspect the client inserted header which
> contains the URI and correlation id of a specific bpel process. That
> way each intermediary can query the bpel process on what is next to be
> done with the message. The process answers to these questions with the
> URI of an intermediary and the namespace of the header to be processed
> next. That makes it possible to route a message in a well defined way
> without the client knowing the details of the routing.
>
> As I am complete new to synapse: Is something like that possible?
> Could you give me some hints as to where to look further? That is if
> you don't think that I am absolutely crazy if I use BPEL as a simple
> routing table... ;)
hi Fred,

the only problem with it that i can see is that if the mechanism is
generic it would be possible to hijack clients and make them into zombie
that are controlled by BPEL overlord to direct WS-* (DeathStar?) based
DOS attacks ... which would be interesting ;-)

> Of course I am aware that introducing a central bpel process for
> routing purposes is critical in itself as there is no guarantee on
> this service being reachable from anywhere on the network.
it does not have to be central: if client uses WS-Addressing (or just
playing with DNS) the actual address of a BPEL router can be determined
by an intermediary (for looking on WS-Addressing headers for lower level
routing and/or resolving DNS address to multiple IP addresses and trying
them in round robin fashion etc ...)
> This would be something an administrator would have to assure prior to
> installing the extension ;) And that might be a security issue on its
> own *sigh*
it could be bad especially if the logic for routing is capable of
expressing enough for generating more than one message to send (your
aggregation service below?) without need to send a message to BPEL
controller (one message could trigger an avalanche of messages ...)
> It might very well be that defining routing as bpel process is like
> using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut - but it makes routing very
> flexible and might some day even make simultaneous processing of a
> message at multiple intermediaries possible (that is if one can come
> up with some sort of aggregation service). But that is still far far
> away...
>
> As to "who controls the decision process":
> I agree that these policies should not be controlled by the client but
> the service layer.
> Yet I think that even if you move the decision making away from the
> client it would still be necessary to have the client insert the
> required headers. So you can decide within the service layer when to
> invoke a specific service but not the parameters of that service. Or
> am I completely wrong here?
you could also create clients that have "cookies" that capture in an
opaque way bpel state (just a long number maybe with crypto and
timestamped to make sure client can not manipulate it) and it is passed
to routing controller for routing the message in a bigger conversation.

still i wonder what is exactly the use case for it? is it compelling
enough? how does it compare to other ways of doing the same?

best,

alek

Posted by Frederik Juchart <fr...@juchart.de>.
Hi Thomas,

[...]

being reachable from anywhere on the network. This would be something an
[...]

-Fred