Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2006/05/18 19:40:13 UTC

JSSE13SocketFactory in a 1.5 JVM and SUN-SPECIFIC classes

I'm trying to build Tomcat 5.5.15 using the IBM 1.5 JDK.

Why?  Because I'm working with a user that wants to run with the IBM 1.5
JDK in production.  They want to build Tomcat with the IBM JDK for 2
reasons:
1)  To ensure that they can build if they have to fix/change something
(and this is their JDK of choice).
2)  To preempt any potential runtime problems with missing classes in
the JVM by catching and fixing them at build time rather than runtime.

I'm having problems building JSSE13SocketFactory because of references
to SUN-SPECIFIC classes in packages like com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.*

Am I correct in understanding that this class only exists for
compatibility with 1.3 JVMs and will never be executed in a 1.5 JVM?  If
   so, then that should address #2 above (we'll never execute the class.
  I could then address #1 by either changing the class or possibly even
removing it and all references.

Have other folks built Tomcat using JDKs other than Sun's?  How do you
work around problems like this?

Thanks for the help!
Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: JSSE13SocketFactory in a 1.5 JVM and SUN-SPECIFIC classes

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Mark Thomas" <ma...@apache.org> wrote in message
> Joe Bohn wrote:
>> IIUC, this code in JSSEImplementation:
>>
>>     static final String JSSE13Factory =
>>         "org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSE13Support";
>>
>> should be:
>>
>>     static final String JSSE13Factory =
>>         "org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSE13Factory";
>>
>> since there is no JSSE13Support class.
>
>> Rather than correct this one line of code, I think it would make sense
>> to completely remove the JSSE13* classes.  This resolves the problems
>> that I'm having with building on a non-Sun JDK.  It would also seem that
>> nobody is using this support since the problem has not been reported.
>
> There are no references to the static String JSSE13Factory in the code
> base so it actually doesn't matter about the typo. This is no-one has
> complained - it isn't actually broken.
>
>> Does Tomcat 5.5.17 still support running on a 1.3 JVM?
>
> Tomcat 5 requires 1.4+ but the connectors (of which this class is a
> part) are used by both TC4 and TC3. The code needs to stay.

However, for Tomcat 6, the classes have been removed.  And, as a bonus, you
don't even have to specify the algorithm="IbmX509" attribute when using
IBM's JVM :).

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Thanks for the quick response!

I think I've discovered some more problems while looking into this class
and references to it.

JSSEImplementation contains code to select the correct factory based
upon the JVM version.  However, it appears that there is a typo in the
class name.

IIUC, this code in JSSEImplementation:

     static final String JSSE13Factory =
         "org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSE13Support";

should be:

     static final String JSSE13Factory =
         "org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSE13Factory";

since there is no JSSE13Support class.

The code is unchanged in 5.5.17.

Rather than correct this one line of code, I think it would make sense
to completely remove the JSSE13* classes.  This resolves the problems
that I'm having with building on a non-Sun JDK.  It would also seem that
nobody is using this support since the problem has not been reported.
Does Tomcat 5.5.17 still support running on a 1.3 JVM?

Should I create a bug report for this problem and do you think it would
be feasible to remove the broken 1.3 support?

Thanks,
Joe

Mark Thomas wrote:
> Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>>Have other folks built Tomcat using JDKs other than Sun's?  How do you
>>work around problems like this?
>

> Deleting the class any any reference seems like the way to go to me.
>
> Mark

Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Joe Bohn" <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I'm trying to build Tomcat 5.5.15 using the IBM 1.5 JDK.
>
> Why?  Because I'm working with a user that wants to run with the IBM 1.5
> JDK in production.  They want to build Tomcat with the IBM JDK for 2
> reasons:
> 1)  To ensure that they can build if they have to fix/change something
> (and this is their JDK of choice).
> 2)  To preempt any potential runtime problems with missing classes in the
> JVM by catching and fixing them at build time rather than runtime.
>
> I'm having problems building JSSE13SocketFactory because of references to
> SUN-SPECIFIC classes in packages like com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.*
>
> Am I correct in understanding that this class only exists for
> compatibility with 1.3 JVMs and will never be executed in a 1.5 JVM?  If
> so, then that should address #2 above (we'll never execute the class. I
> could then address #1 by either changing the class or possibly even
> removing it and all references.

Yes, that class is only for compatibility with 1.3 JVMs.  It will never be
loaded by a 1.4+ JVM.  Personally, I think that it is easier to simply grap
JSSE 1.0 (the one for 1.3 JVMs) from Sun and set jsse.home in your
build.properties file to wherever you unpack it.  However, either of your
options will work as well, provided that you remember to repeat it whenever
you upgrade.

> Have other folks built Tomcat using JDKs other than Sun's?  How do you
> work around problems like this?

Gump has built Tomcat regularly with Kaffe by having the JSSE 1.0 jars
installed.