Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> on 2013/01/16 18:10:07 UTC

[bugzilla] "Product" category clean-up?

Hi,

I was trying to assign to the right "Product" category a bug related to
i18n, and realized we have no such category of its own, it's merged with
i10n, while there are other obsolete categories and some others that
overlap:

- api: This is the application programming interface.
- app dev: Issues with app dev programming features like macros, scripts
  and extensions.
- extensions: Issues related to the extensions project. Extensions
  include all elements extending OpenOffice.org
- scripting: Everything related to Basic, the Scripting Framework and
  the Basic IDE including the dialog editor.

"app_dev" looks like a mix of "api" and "scripting"

"extensions" has a confusing description: if you click on it, the
respective informations looks like it is about the extensions developed
in the source tree by the project:
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/describecomponents.cgi?product=extensions
(those not being maintained anymore may be removed)

- native‑lang: Native-Lang deals with information and resources in
  a person's native tongue.
- l10n: Localization and Internationalization

"native-lang" is obsolete if separated from "l10n" now, and "l10n" mixes two
different things: l10n != i18n

There are many other categories that resemble former OO.o projects
structure, and now look rather obsolete.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [bugzilla] "Product" category clean-up?

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:28:44PM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
> <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trying to assign to the right "Product" category a bug related to
> > i18n, and realized we have no such category of its own, it's merged with
> > i10n, while there are other obsolete categories and some others that
> > overlap:
> >

> > - api: This is the application programming interface.
> > - app dev: Issues with app dev programming features like macros, scripts
> >   and extensions.
> > - extensions: Issues related to the extensions project. Extensions
> >   include all elements extending OpenOffice.org
> > - scripting: Everything related to Basic, the Scripting Framework and
> >   the Basic IDE including the dialog editor.
> >
> > "app_dev" looks like a mix of "api" and "scripting"
> >
> > "extensions" has a confusing description: if you click on it, the
> > respective informations looks like it is about the extensions developed
> > in the source tree by the project:
> > https://issues.apache.org/ooo/describecomponents.cgi?product=extensions
> > (those not being maintained anymore may be removed)
> >

> > - native‑lang: Native-Lang deals with information and resources in
> >   a person's native tongue.
> > - l10n: Localization and Internationalization
> >
> > "native-lang" is obsolete if separated from "l10n" now, and "l10n" mixes two
> > different things: l10n != i18n
> >

> The native-lang "product" has a separate "component" for each locale.
> That was a change from the legacy OOo BZ where each NL project had its
> own top-level "product".  I think this is an improvement, since the
> old structure cluttered the root level with more than 100 of products.
>
> In the BZ UI "l10n" is described as "localization and
> internationalization".   Would it help to rename that to "i18n" and
> use it for only that?

Yes. I guess localization bugs are now submitted under native-lang
-> locale; so changing l10n to l18n makes sense. Looking at
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/describecomponents.cgi?product=l10n
"helpcontent" is rather ambiguos. If it is about the Online Help
application, this belongs to the application framework; if its about the
help files, it belongs to documentation; if it about help files
translation, it belongs to native-lang->locale...

All the other items belong to i18n:

- BiDi
- i18npool
- localedata

but "www" I have no idea what that means in this context.

May be the new QA contributors can perform an experiment in submitting
new bugs, sure new eyes can tell how hard it is to guess which is the right
product-component, and how much sense do some categories have.

Regards

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ar...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:28:44PM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
>> The native-lang "product" has a separate "component" for each locale.
>> That was a change from the legacy OOo BZ where each NL project had its
>> own top-level "product".  I think this is an improvement, since the
>> old structure cluttered the root level with more than 100 of products.
>
> The component br-pt should be pt-BR

Thanks, fixed.

-Rob

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.