Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2009/08/01 08:37:22 UTC

Re: 99.9% uptime requirement

Robi,

Solr is indeed very stable.  However, it can crash and I've seen it crash.  Or rather, I should say I've seen the JVM that runs Solr crash.  For instance, if you have a servlet container with a number of webapps, one of which is Solr, and one of which has a memory leak, I believe all webapps will suffer and "crash".  And even if you have just Solr in your servlet container, it can OOM, say if you specify overly large caches or too frequent commits, etc.

 Otis
--
Sematext is hiring -- http://sematext.com/about/jobs.html?mls
Lucene, Solr, Nutch, Katta, Hadoop, HBase, UIMA, NLP, NER, IR

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
For 99.9%, run three copies behind a load balancer. That allows you to
take one down for upgrade, and still be fault-tolerant.

wunder

Re: 99.9% uptime requirement

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Robert Petersen <ro...@buy.com> wrote:

> Maintenance Questions:  In a two slave one master setup where the two
> slaves are behind load balancers what happens if I have to restart solr?
> If I have to restart solr say for a schema update where I have added a
> new field then what is the recommended procedure?
>
> If I can guarantee no commits or optimizes happen on the master during
> the schema update so no new snapshots become available then can I safely
> leave rsyncd enabled?  When I stop and start a slave server, should I
> first pull it out of the load balancers list or will solr gracefully
> release connections as it shuts down so no searches are lost?

We pull slaves out of the load balancer, wait for 15-20 seconds and then
stop the tomcat process.

> What do you guys do to push out updates?

Disable the cron job on all slaves (which calls snappuller).
Update schema on master and re-index.
For each slave: Take it out of rotation, stop tomcat, update the schema,
start tomcat, call snappuller, start cron.

This is now a piece of cake with the java based replication in Solr 1.4
which supports replicating configuration too without downtime.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: 99.9% uptime requirement

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Design so that you can handle the load with one server down (N+1
sizing), then take one server out for any maintenance. Simple and
works fine.

wunder

RE: 99.9% uptime requirement

You could create a new "working" core, then call the swap command once
it is ready.  Then remove the work core and delete the appropriate index
folder at your convenience.

RE: 99.9% uptime requirement

Posted by Brian Klippel <br...@theport.com>.

RE: 99.9% uptime requirement

Re: 99.9% uptime requirement

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Re: 99.9% uptime requirement

Posted by Norberto Meijome <nu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:15:44 -0700

RE: 99.9% uptime requirement

Posted by Robert Petersen <ro...@buy.com>.
Thanks all, I figured there would be more talk about daemontools if there were really a need.  I appreciate the input and for starters we'll put two slaves behind a load balancer and grow it from there.

Lovin' Solr So Far!  We were using alta vista as our search engine... it was sooo 90's!  haha

Thanks again,
Robi

Robert, from my experience with Solr (since 1.2 and running few 1.4 deployments) Solr does not need any kind of mechanism to ensure it will auto start on crash, because I didn`t see it crash on it`s own fault. Just ensure, You have not one instance of Solr, and run it behind a proxy or load balancer of some kind.

Rafał Kuć

Re: 99.9% uptime requirement

Posted by Rafał Kuć <ra...@alud.com.pl>.
Hello!

Re: 99.9% uptime requirement

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Yes, daemontools or any kind of home-grown process-watching-and-restarting tool will work.
Regarding those caches - they look too large.
Also, the ramBufferSizeMB is irrelevant on search slaves.

 Otis

RE: 99.9% uptime requirement