Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/06/15 22:13:59 UTC

Magic is Dead, Long live Magic

Gang,

I would like to officially announce that my previous Magic experiment is
terminated and removed from the SVN repository.

I and Steve have both been working on a Maven replacement, with completely
different starting points. Agile vs Model-driven.
We have now consolidated our efforts, looked at what was learnt in both, and
agreed that the model-driven one can do all that the Agile could, with only
two minor differences;

1. There is currently no support for scripting directly in Java (using
BeanShell) in the model-driven approach, but we are moving that experience
across into the core.

2. The Agile Magic had a couple of seconds lower overhead in startup, and some
percentage (5-30%) faster, and that is not enough argument to keep going with
the Agile version.

SO, Steve's model-driven build system, based on advanced features in Ant, 100%
compatible with Ant's philosophy and future direction, will reign Avalon's
construction... I still suggest we call it Magic.

And I bet you guys will be flabbergasted of how it works... I was ! :o)

It currently builds the entire Avalon Runtime, can generate the site, and all
the bits and pieces required. The main things missing are; JavaDoc generation
(Steve working on that as we speak) and BeanShell scripts for those builds
that require logic.
Documentation will also need some serious work.
We also want to clean up some internals (like some naming, add more javadocs )
and then proceed to 'productify' Magic for others to use in any project.

By now, anyone should be able to check out Avalon from SVN, and then build in
a two-step procedure;
At the root level (/repos/asf/avalon/trunk), do

  ant setup   (needs executed only once to build Magic itself)
  ant   (builds everything, including the site)

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Magic is Dead, Long live Magic

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>* Its about time for breaking this out into a new project, don't you
>>   think?
>
> Considering an approximate life time of 3-4 weeks, it is pretty early days
> yet, but I understand your reasoning and motivations :-D

/my/ reasoning? I'm not to sure about those :-D

> You suggest TLP over ICQ, but that is a bit too far-fetched, isn't it.

why?

> Would Ant take on a sub-project?

not likely. Ant wants to stay ant.

There's also the Depot project in incubator (you know with RuperTask 'n
friends) that's also a set of ant tasks plus a little more, and that's
not so likely to all end up in ant either.

Ant grew out of tomcat. Maven grew out of turbine. Magic grows out of
avalon.

- LSD

Re: Magic is Dead, Long live Magic

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 16 June 2004 06:18, Leo Simons wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Feedback appreciated.
>
> It works :-D
> It's nice.

Credit and Kudos mainly to Steve...

> * Some form of maven POM compatibility would still be nice (I like
>    betting on all horses).

We were kicking around of making this Maven plugin, that would be included in
the Maven distro, convert existing POMs, download Magic, remove Maven, and
just provided a 10x speed improvement.

> * Its about time for breaking this out into a new project, don't you
>    think?

Considering an approximate life time of 3-4 weeks, it is pretty early days
yet, but I understand your reasoning and motivations :-D

You suggest TLP over ICQ, but that is a bit too far-fetched, isn't it. Would
Ant take on a sub-project?

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Magic is Dead, Long live Magic

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Feedback appreciated.

It works :-D

It's nice.

* Some form of maven POM compatibility would still be nice (I like
   betting on all horses).
* Its about time for breaking this out into a new project, don't you
   think?

cheers,

- LSD