Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by ylx_admin <ne...@hotmail.com> on 2009/09/29 19:57:36 UTC

Advice on new Datacenter Hadoop Cluster?

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to hadoop in general and I've been tasked with building out a
datacenter cluster of hadoop servers to process logfiles. We currently use
Amazon but our heavy usage is starting to justify running our own servers.
I'm aiming for less than $1k per box, and of course trying to economize on
power/rack. Can anyone give me some advice on what to pay attention to when
building these server nodes?

TIA,
Kevin

Re: Advice on new Datacenter Hadoop Cluster?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Brian Bockelman wrote:

> * When one disk goes out, the datanode shuts down - meaning that 48
> disks go out.  This is to be fixed in 0.21.0, I think.

That's right, though the NN doesn't report it, and I think once offline,
that disk stays offline.

There's been discussion on a new JIRA issue regarding hotswap support,
can I pull a disk out, plug in a new one and expect it to be possible to
have the replacement brought in. You don't want to shut down 48TB just
to replace one disk.

To be done properly, you really need a way to tell HDFS what you are
doing, to make sure that any underreplicated data is pulled off that HDD
onto the remaining disks, pause, kill the tasktracker. Once the new disk
is inserted and mounted, it needs to be repopulated with blocks

-steve

Re: Advice on new Datacenter Hadoop Cluster?

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:13 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> Ryan Smith wrote:
>> I have a question that i feel i should ask on this thread.  Lets
>> say you
>> want to build a cluster where you will be doing very little map/
>> reduce,
>> storage and replication of data only on hdfs.  What would the
>> hardware
>> requirements be?  No quad core? less ram?
>
> Servers with more HDD per CPU, and less RAM. CPUs are a big slice
> not just of capital, but of your power budget. If you are running a
> big datacentre, you will care about that electricity bill.
>
> Assuming you go for 1U with 6 HDD in a 1U box, you could have 6 or
> 12 TB per U, then perhaps a 2-core or 4-core server with "enough"
> ECC RAM.
>
> * with less M/R work, you could allocate most of that TB to work,
> leave a few hundred GB for OS and logs
>
> * you'd better estimate external load; if the cluster is storing
> data then total network bandwidth will be 3X the data ingress (for
> replication = 3), read costs are that of the data itself. Also, 5
> threads on 3 different machines handing the write and forward process.
>
> * I don't know how much load the datanode JVM would take with, say
> 11 TB of managed storage underneath; that's memory and CPU time.

Datanode load is a function of the number of IOPS.  Basically, buying
6 12TB nodes versus 3 24TB nodes, you double the number of IOPS per
node.

If you're using HDFS solely for backup, then the number of IOPS is so
small you can assume it's zero.  We use HDFS for a non-mapreduce
physics application, and our particular application mix is such that I
target 1 batch system core per usable HDFS TB.

> Is anyone out there running big datanodes? What do they see?

Our biggest is 48TB:
* They go offline for 5 minutes during the block reports.  We use rack
awareness to make sure that both copies are not on big data nodes.
Fixed in future releases (0.20.0 even, maybe).
* When one disk goes out, the datanode shuts down - meaning that 48
disks go out.  This is to be fixed in 0.21.0, I think.
* The CPUs (4 cores) are pegged when the system is under full load.
If I had a chance, I'd give it more CPU horsepower.

As usual, everyone's application is different enough that any anecdote
is possibly not applicable.

Brian

Re: Advice on new Datacenter Hadoop Cluster?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Smith <ry...@gmail.com>.
I have a question that i feel i should ask on this thread.  Lets say you
want to build a cluster where you will be doing very little map/reduce,
storage and replication of data only on hdfs.  What would the hardware
requirements be?  No quad core? less ram?

Thanks
-Ryan

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Kevin Sweeney wrote:
> I really appreciate everyone's input. We've been going back and forth on the
> server size issue here. There are a few reasons we shot for the $1k price,
> one because we wanted to be able to compare our datacenter costs vs. the
> cloud costs. Another is that we have spec'd out a fast Intel node with
> over-the-counter parts. We have a hard time justifying the dual-processor
> costs and really don't see the need for the big server extras like
> out-of-band management and redundancy. This is our proposed config, feel
> free to criticize :)
> Supermicro 512L-260 Chassis $90
> Supermicro X8SIL                  $160
> Heatsink                                $22
> Intel 3460 Xeon                      $350
> Samsung 7200 RPM SATA2   2x$85
> 2GB Non-ECC DIMM              4x$65
>
> This totals $1052. Doesn't this seem like a reasonable setup? Isn't the
> purpose of a hadoop cluster to build cheap,fast, replaceable nodes?

Disclaimer 1: I work for a server vendor so may be biased. I will
attempt to avoid this by not pointing you at HP DL180 or SL170z servers.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Depending on your needs and the size of your cluster, the out-of-band
management can be of significant interest.  It is a pretty simple
cost/benefit analysis that trades your sysops time (which is probably about
the equivalent of $50-150 per hour fully loaded and accounting for
opportunity cost) versus the cost of IPMI cards.  If it takes an extra hour
of time to actually go to the data center per event and possibly another
hour of time because the data center is a lousy place to work, then the IPMI
card is probably about break-even.  In our case, it is more than an hour of
inconvenience and our systems guy has LOTs of things to do so the board's
are a no-brainer.

You don't say here what size the disks are.  Dual disks are a good idea for
any number of reasons.  I just saw a price this morning of about $170 for a
2TB drive and about half that for a 1TB drive so make sure you are doing at
least that well.

You are specifying only 4GB of RAM.  I would account that as severely
underpowering your machine.  My own preference is to put 4-8x that much RAM
on a machine with one or two quad core CPU's and four drives.  That still
fits in a 1U chassis and will out-perform several of the boxes that you are
describing, although perhaps not exactly on a $/cycle even trade-off.

There are also some very sweet twin setups where you get two beefy machines
in a single 1U slot.  Very nice.  For instance, you can put two dual CPU
quad core Nehalem processors with 48GB, a bunch of disk into 1U for about
$14K including paying somebody to set up the machine and a 3 year
maintenance contract.  You should be able to do this yourself for $12K or
less and this is equivalent to about something between 6 to 30 of the nodes
that you are spec'ing (2 x 2 x 4 cores vs 4 cores = 4x (but round up because
of fancier processors), 96GB vs 4 GB = 32x).  Cut off another K$ or two
because this is an older quote and the 2TB drives are much cheaper suddenly
as well.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Advice on new Datacenter Hadoop Cluster?

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@gmail.com>.
I wouldn't spec the worker nodes just to facilitate cloud cost comparison.
There's enough variability out there and you'd have to deal with storage,
network bandwidth and I/O. Not to mention a similarly spec'd virtual cloud
server will never perform as well as a physical server because you don't get
data locality. Unless you have something like Amazon's EBS, but then that
jacks up your costs.
Also, you shouldn't assume that 'big server' will include out-of-band
management or redundancy.

Also take into account performance per watt. Dual socket machines do better
here. Just like you, I wouldn't go with high ghz ('faster') Intel procs
because they are power hungry and generate lots of heat for the incremental
speed bump that you get. (After all, you're not building a gaming rig.)
However, you can go dual-socket with lower speed processors. I think the
lowest ghz Nehalems that support hyper-threading are good value. For
example, compare the Xeon 3460 @ 2.8ghz ($360) to the 3440 @ 2.53ghz ($240).
That's about a 10% speed bump for a 50% price increase, and that's without
factoring in the power consumption. Granted, you need to take into account
the cost of the entire server, not just the processor.

Posted by Kevin Sweeney <ke...@yieldex.com>.

--
Kevin Sweeney
Systems Engineer

Re: Advice on new Datacenter Hadoop Cluster?

Posted by stephen mulcahy <st...@deri.org>.
One other data point here - you may find that some vendors will supply
servers using "enterprise" drives rather than "consumer" drives (see
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=503 versus
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=576 for an example).

You'll find the enterprise drives are generally more expensive and don't
follow the same price drop curve as the consumer drives. I can't
definitively say whether the enterprise drives are worth the extra spend
- the vendors will tell you that the consumer class drives aren't
designed/manufactured to run 24x7 like the enterprise drives (apparently
the enterprise drives are designed to be more vibration resistant also,
which is a feature aimed at the situation where you have large numbers
of these drives in RAID arrays).

In some unscientific performance comparisons between drives, I have
found the RE3s to have "better" performance than the consumer WDC green
drives (but a more rigorous comparison from someone would be most welcome).

-stephen

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by stephen mulcahy <st...@deri.org>.
Todd Lipcon wrote:
> Most people building new clusters at this point seem to be leaning towards
> dual quad core Nehalem with 4x1TB 7200RPM SATA and at least 8G RAM.

We went with a similar configuration for a recently purchased cluster
but opted for qual quad core Opterons (Shanghai) rather than Nehalems
and invested the difference in more memory per node (16GB). Nehalem seem
to perform very well on some benchmarks but that performance comes at a

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.
Also, if you plan to run HBase as well (now or in the future), you'll need
more RAM. Take that into account too.

Amandeep Khurana
Computer Science Graduate Student
University of California, Santa Cruz