Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com> on 2008/04/19 03:10:42 UTC

Another candidate for the hall of Shame: Eschelon

Well, I got a bunch of spams from 66.213.228.51 about some non-existent
stock (that's considered Wire Fraud, and it's a federal felony offense
in the US).

It was also unsolicited.

I went to Eschelon.com, the ISP, and provided them with examples and
asked them to shutdown the spammer.

They insisted that the "client" in this case (meaning their checks cash,
even if they do spam) was a legitimate "opt-in" operator.

I said, "Fine, then have them furnish the proof that this user ever
opted in, because he insists he didn't."

A week later, no reply, despite my pinging them twice.

They're either complicit, or else burying their head in the ground as to
the legitimacy of the complaints (they did call them a "major customer").

Because it doesn't take over a week to dig out proof that someone opted
into a list or didn't.

So, what's the procedure for spanking an irresponsible ISP?

How do you name him to the various RBL's?

I suppose I could sign up for spamcop.net... Which S/X/RBL would be most
effective in this case?

Thanks,

-Philip

Re: Another candidate for the hall of Shame: Eschelon

Posted by Turbo Fredriksson <tu...@bayour.com>.
Quoting Arvid Ephraim Picciani <ae...@ibcsolutions.de>:

> On Saturday 19 April 2008 03:10:42 Philip Prindeville wrote:
>> Which S/X/RBL would be most
>> effective in this case?
>>
> spamhaus.

Or report the ISP to _their_ network provider. Keep going higher and higher.
Sooner or later you find a provider that cares!

Re: Another candidate for the hall of Shame: Eschelon

Posted by Arvid Ephraim Picciani <ae...@ibcsolutions.de>.
On Saturday 19 April 2008 03:10:42 Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Which S/X/RBL would be most
> effective in this case?
spamhaus.  If it's a known spammer, the ISP will get in trouble pretty fast.
No clue how you submit anything to them though :/
mabe they already know, if the problem is big enough.
If the problem is too small for spamhaus, try  getting them on small but
no-one-should-use  lists like rfcignorant. Just to slap them around a little.
And link back to the entries ;)

--
best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Arvid Ephraim Picciani