Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/17 14:15:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Enhance specs to work better with JRE

Deploying java specs jars and providers is a bit tricky in osgi, even when
using the servicemix specs.
I think we face two problems:
  * when deploying a spec bundle, we need to hide the packages from the jre
and by doing so we forbid the use of the implementation provided by the jre
  * when deploying an implementation, it won't be available until the
bundle is started but this constraint isn't captured

For the first problem, I was thinking about deploying the specs jars in the
lib/endorsed dir so that they would be used.by the jre and enhance them so
that they would be able to discover the implementations in bundles but also
in the jre.  This would work as they would use the same packages.  This may
require some modifications in karaf, though i'm not sure yet.

For the second point, i'm still hoping that the Generic Capabilities
introduced in osgi 4.3 can be leveraged fo that.  I think that's aso
related to obr.

Anyway, i'd like to find a solution to those problems, so any idea is of
course welcomed.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSS] Enhance specs to work better with JRE

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I hear you, but you're talking about the implementations, not the specs,
right ?

Last week, we discussed a problem  resulting in hiding the javax.xml.stream
package.  When hiding that package, the javax.xml.transform.stax isn't
usable anymore and that one isn't really provided by any spec, so we'd have
to find a way to ship JAXP again.

The solution I'm experimenting would really be to hack (by using endorsed
jars) the specs, but provide the implementation as bundles (that would be
shipped by default by ServiceMix when it makes sense), and I do agree that
Servicemix should provide a good out of the box experience on that.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 16:16, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> different than Sun's which is different than the Oracle JRocket which is
> different than the Mac, etc.....   Couple of examples:
>
> StAX - the version in the JDK is very slow, buggy (has issues with some
> namespace handling, large text contents, etc..), and the factories are not
> thread safe.   If the libraries/users are used to Woodstox, they might not
> even realize that last point and you can get all kinds of issues.
>
> JAXB - the version in the JDK up to _26 causes thread local leaks and jar
> locking of applications preventing undeploys, causes PermGen contention,
> and
> has other issues.  _27 updated to a version that fixes that, but the later
> versions provide fixes for 3 other things that CXF users have reported.   I
> don't think the Mac JDK has been updated to even that level yet.   Not
> sure on
> the IBM JDK.
>
> Unfortunately, the XSLT stuff is the big exception.   Xalan hasn't done a
> release in a long time and the version in the JDK is quite a bit ahead of
> the
> last xalan release.  (supports StAXSource for example)
>
> In any case, I strongly feel we need to make sure that SMX "out of the box"
> provides the best experience for the users and, more importantly, the most
> consistent and supportable experience for us just to reduce the support
> load.
> Not knowing what versions of various technologies the users are using will
> just cause us a lot more headaches.
>

> Dan
>

> On Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:15:28 PM Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> > Deploying java specs jars and providers is a bit tricky in osgi, even
> when
> > using the servicemix specs.
> > I think we face two problems:
> >   * when deploying a spec bundle, we need to hide the packages from the
> jre
> > and by doing so we forbid the use of the implementation provided by the
> jre
> >   * when deploying an implementation, it won't be available until the
> > bundle is started but this constraint isn't captured
> >
> > For the first problem, I was thinking about deploying the specs jars in
> the
> > lib/endorsed dir so that they would be used.by the jre and enhance them
> so
> > that they would be able to discover the implementations in bundles but
> also
> > in the jre.  This would work as they would use the same packages.  This
> may
> > require some modifications in karaf, though i'm not sure yet.
> >
> > For the second point, i'm still hoping that the Generic Capabilities
> > introduced in osgi 4.3 can be leveraged fo that.  I think that's aso
> > related to obr.
> >
> > Anyway, i'd like to find a solution to those problems, so any idea is of

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Enhance specs to work better with JRE

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure it can be done.   The reason is that the provider default
class name is usually embedded in a static method of the factory which is
part of the api and not in the FactoryFinder.
For example I have the following code coming from the stax XMLInputFactory
class on my mac jre:

  public static XMLInputFactory newInstance()
    throws FactoryConfigurationError
  {
    return (XMLInputFactory) FactoryFinder.find(
      "javax.xml.stream.XMLInputFactory",
      "com.sun.xml.internal.stream.XMLInputFactoryImpl");
  }

endorsed and I suppose we'd have ClassCastException if we really use that
one.

Also, there's always the possibility to configure the system properties
which would be used after any implementation provided by an osgi bundle,
but before the default factory.
If we look at how the packages are loaded by the karaf main class using
${jre-${java.specification.version}}, we might be able to do the same for
those properties using ${java.specification.vendor} .

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 16:45, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Friday, November 18, 2011 4:39:57 PM Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, that's really one point I still have to investigate as I'd like to
> > > be able to use the JRE provided implementations when possible.
> > > I don't really see any other solution than to hardcode the names as the
> > > implementation class names aren't available easily (I really don't want
> > > to start hacking into byte code to find the value of parameter calls).
> > > I suppose that would mean supporting a limited set of JDK that we would
> > > have tested our default values with.
>
> Is there a way to get the bytecode for the original FactoryFinder out of
> the
> rt.jar (or wherever on Mac), create class out of it and just call it?
>
> Guess that still involves a little bytecode manipulation.  :-(
>

> --
> Daniel Kulp

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Missed dev@ as a recipient.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Enhance specs to work better with JRE

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I've been experimenting a bit with the first part. and it seems I have
something working.  It consists of the following:
  * a modified karaf to support karaf activators (some kind of bundle
activators but loaded from jars in the lib/ folder instead of bundles)
  * the spec jars dropped into lib/endorsed
  * a karaf activator (same as the one in the spec) but in a separate jar
in the lib folder
With that (and provided the spec defaults to the implementation in the JRE
which require a few modifications for some), it seems I can safely install

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Guillaume,

sorry for my late feedback.

My comments inline:

>    * when deploying a spec bundle, we need to hide the packages from the jre
> and by doing so we forbid the use of the implementation provided by the jre

Good idea. As we discussed last week, this could be handle by the Karaf
profiles (using patch/diff/merge mechanism). We can also enhance the
karaf-maven-plugin to provision the spec bundle in the lib/endorsed.
At least, we have always the "custom distribution" way using an assembly.

>    * when deploying an implementation, it won't be available until the
> bundle is started but this constraint isn't captured
The first read about the new OBR spec looks interesting for this point.
Having some kind of events, with callback handlers, will allow us to react.
Waiting for the new OBR, maybe we can implement a specific behavior for
spec. We can imagine to add an specific attribute in the MANIFEST
(SpecBundle or something like that), and handle a specific life cycle
and events for this kind of bundles (monitoring the directory for
instance).
Another way is to have a Spec OSGi service specific to handle the Spec
bundle live cycle. We can imagine that the Spec bundle expose a given
service interface with properties describing the services. In that case
we can have a service tracker to know when the service is started and ready.
I'm not sure it's good ideas, but it's the only ones that I have for now ;)

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré