Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Tamás Barta <ba...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/01 16:19:11 UTC

Sorting question

Hi,

I have a problem and I don't know how should I solve it in Solr.

I have products indexed. Every product can be in lists. It is possible that
a product isn't in any list or it is in multiple list.
In a list the products are ordered. I would like to search for products in
a specified list with the correct order.

Earlier I tried to create a field for every list the product is in and
these fields stored the index value of the product in that list.
For example: list_23=1, list_841=8, ...

After that I could do a query for list N: product where list_N exists order
by list_N asc
In this case the index size were extremely large because there are lot of
lists and I guess every document stored a value for every field (it was
long time ago, I don't know if it would be still a problem in current
version of Solr)

Do you have any idea how could I solve this problem?

Thanks,
Tamas

Re: Sorting question

Posted by Tamás Barta <ba...@gmail.com>.
Sorry I don't know what you mean.

If "listpos" field contains multiple values like "list=pos" then is it
possible to order by field value where that field value fits a query?

For example list 1 contains: p1 and p2, list 2 contains p2 and p1 in this
order, then

p1 document has a listpos field with values "1=1" and "2=2"
p2 document has a listpos fiels with values "1=2" and "2=1"

And if list 1 should be displayed then i should say to solr: sort by field
value where listpos:1=*

Because i need products which is in list1, and i want to sort by this
matching term.
2016. ápr. 1. 19:35 ezt írta ( <bi...@gmail.com>):

> [...]
> user)
> > I mean what "rule" determines the ordering of the list?
> >
> > Or, is there even a rule of any kind?
> >
> > In other words, does a user arbitrarily decide that documentA, documentF,
> > and documentW should be on a list of their own?  For reasons known only
> > the user?
> >
> > Or - does the ordering of the list depend on some piece of data?  (like a
> > date, or a manufacturer, or a price range or any other piece of "hard"
> data)
> >
> > ===
> >
> > To give an example from what I'm working on right now --
> >
> > My subject matter experts have given me a rule that says:
> >
> > *Documents of  content_type "bar" should come higher in the results than
> > documents of content_type "foo".*
> >
> > PsuedoCode: If (content_type == bar) then put this doc highest in the
> > results.  If (content_type == foo) put those docs after the "bar"
> > content_type docs.
> >

> > This is an example of the ordering being tied to a specific piece of data
> > which I can manipulate in a "sub query"  (that's probably the wrong
> term...)
> >

> > This isn't exactly what you're doing, but it's close -- IF you have rules
> > you can express clearly in this way...
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Also, I'm confused a little by your statement that SOLR does the
> filtering
> > and pagination, thus you can't sort the documents after Solr returns
> them...
> >
> > My mental model is that you ask Solr for all the documents that match a
> > certain criteria.  Solr returns that "set" of documents and then for your
> > list, you sort those document titles or ID's according to some rule --
> > possibly in the javascript on the web page...  But perhaps I'm not
> > understanding your situation well enough...
> >
> > Oh - are you perhaps saying that your ONLY criteria for getting these
> > documents is the list number?  That would make sense, although there may
> > still be room for sorting based on some kind of logic / data point
> outside
> > of SOlR.  You could get all the documents associated to list #4, and then
> > sort them based on some hard data point they all contain.  At the very
> > least, your listpos "array" becomes simpler...
> >
> > What does your query currently look like?
> >
> >> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Tamás Barta <ba...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Some of the lists are created by users and some are generated by
> >> applications, it doesn't matter.
> >>
> >> It would be fine to solve it in Solr because Solr does the work of
> >> filtering and pagination. If sorting were done outside than I would
> have to
> >> read every document from Solr to sort them. It is not an option, I have
> >> query onle one page.
> >>
> >> I don't understand how to solve it using subqueries.
> >> 2016. ápr. 1. 18:42 ezt írta ("John Bickerstaff" <

Re: Sorting question

Posted by bi...@gmail.com.

Re: Sorting question

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.
Oh - and if you send a copy of your query - please include a human-readable
version of what your intent is...

Something like: Find all the documents that have "blue" in the color field
in addition to searching the title field for the user's search term..."

...Or whatever your intent is for this search.

Re: Sorting question

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.
Thanks for sharing the solution Tamas -- I was hoping you'd let us know...

Re: Sorting question

Posted by Tamás Barta <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Sorting question

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.
Tamas,

Re: Sorting question

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.
Tamas,

Re: Sorting question

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.

Re: Sorting question

Posted by Tamás Barta <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sorting question

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.

Re: Sorting question

Posted by Tamás Barta <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sorting question

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.

Re: Sorting question

Posted by Tamás Barta <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sorting question

Re: Sorting question

Posted by Binoy Dalal <bi...@gmail.com>.
I don't think I understand your problem properly. Are you trying to
pre-sort the products?

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016, 19:49 Tamás Barta, <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem and I don't know how should I solve it in Solr.
>
> I have products indexed. Every product can be in lists. It is possible that
> a product isn't in any list or it is in multiple list.
> In a list the products are ordered. I would like to search for products in
> a specified list with the correct order.
>
> Earlier I tried to create a field for every list the product is in and
> these fields stored the index value of the product in that list.
> For example: list_23=1, list_841=8, ...
>
> After that I could do a query for list N: product where list_N exists order
> by list_N asc
> In this case the index size were extremely large because there are lot of
> lists and I guess every document stored a value for every field (it was
> long time ago, I don't know if it would be still a problem in current
> version of Solr)
>
> Do you have any idea how could I solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Tamas

Binoy Dalal