Posted to users@rave.apache.org by Nolan Darilek <no...@thewordnerd.info> on 2012/12/29 11:27:06 UTC

Error bootstrapping vanilla portal

Hi,

I'm attempting to determine if Rave is a good fit for a project. To that
end, after playing with the demo, I tried bootstrapping the vanilla
portal as per these instructions:

http://rave.apache.org/documentation/rave-extensions.html

with the plan of slowly adding on functionality. I ran into several
issues, though.

First, apologies for not providing detailed logs and such. I can if
desired, but I think these directions are clear enough to duplicate the
issues, and I didn't deviate from the docs much at all.

I checked out and built the 0.19-SNAPSHOT. I then checked out the
vanilla repository. Vanilla depends on 0.15-SNAPSHOT, which was my first
hurdle. I upgraded the dependency to 0.19-SNAPSHOT and that worked.

Next I ran into issues where the standard user service didn't compile
under 0.19. I removed this plus the tests, so I can't say if this caused
the final problem I experienced. Figured I didn't need the service since
the demo worked, and I could add extras if I needed them.

Finally I ran cargo, and received a huge exception with at least one
other as its cause. I'd include it here, but it's pages upon pages upon
pages of output.

It looks like the Vanilla portal hasn't been updated to 0.19-SNAPSHOT,
or even 0.18, and I'm guessing that any developer who tries will run
into the same series of problems I did. Is there a better course of
action than what I did, or is there a new recommended procedure?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the vanilla portal's creation of two
rather than one project. I understand that the portal creates user
accounts, a default gadget store, etc. and uses Shindig as a gadget
container. Is there any reason Shindig comes as a separate project in
the vanilla portal? Is it so you can override Shindig pages in your own
portal? I'm very new to Maven, vastly preferring Gradle, so I'm not
familiar with how the war overlay stuff works. It'd be nice if someone
has a Gradle version of the vanilla project, but my tentative research
suggests it doesn't do overlays, so I suspect it's out.

Thanks, and please let me know if I need to provide detailed logs after all.

Re: Error bootstrapping vanilla portal

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.
On 29 December 2012 16:33, Nolan Darilek <no...@thewordnerd.info> wrote:

> On 12/29/2012 08:23 AM, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:
>
>> Shindig expects to run under the root context, Wookie under /wookie,
>> Rave portal under /portal and the Rave demo gadgets /under demogadgets.
>>

> By "expects," do you mean regardless of whether I run it under Cargo? So
> if I deploy these wars to production, is it essential that I mimic this
> context structure (less demogadgets, of course.)

You can change the context of the Rave portal and Wookie, but Shindig needs
to run under the root context (/). When you deploy Rave on a server, don't
forget to change the properties files [1] for correct references between
the three webapps.

[1] http://rave.apache.org/documentation/host-configuration.html

Posted by Nolan Darilek <no...@thewordnerd.info>.

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.
The rave-vanilla-extension-shindig module doesn't add anything compared to
the rave-shindig war. The module can be used as a starting point for
overriding datasources of people and their groups. If you only want to
customise the portal, you can depend on the default rave-shindig war.
ave-vanilla-extension-portal creates a war by overlaying the
rave-portal-resources which contains web resources (css, jsp etc), but no
Java code and add the several rave jars. This is also what happens in the
default rave-portal war, except that the rave-vanilla-extension-portal adds
its own custom user service and Spring security configuration with the
custom user service and no LDAP integration.

The portal war and the Shindig war are not being merged. The pom in the
portal module contains configuration for the Cargo Maven plugin which
launches a Tomcat instance with the portal war, Shindig war, Wookie war and
a war with example widgets for local development. If you would run the
project on a separate server, you would also need to deploy these separate
wars. Shindig expects to run under the root context, Wookie under /wookie,

Posted by Nolan Darilek <no...@thewordnerd.info>.

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Nolan,