Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Mark Lamley <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/29 02:27:32 UTC

C# + NuGet

Are there plans to publish a compiled C# package to NuGet?

It's easy enough to do. On Windows it's roughly these two commands:

NuGet.exe pack Avro.csproj -Prop Configuration=Release
NuGet.exe push Avro.1.7.5.nupkg

I'm not sure how it works with Mono, but NuGet has some support for it.
There are known issues on Linux and OSX
http://docs.nuget.org/docs/start-here/nuget-faq

If we want to use NuGet for our dependencies it might require upgrading to
a newer version of JSON.Net. The latest NuGet published version of JSON.Net
is 5.0.6, but currently we use 3.5.0. 3.5.0 is no longer listed on NuGet.
I've compiled Avro with JSON.Net 4.5.11 with only a small code change.

I can create a JIRA for this.

Mark

Re: C# + NuGet

Posted by Mark Lamley <ma...@gmail.com>.
I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1381

I'll look at how to make it work best with Mono. Overall, I think there'd
be a lot of value in getting it on NuGet.

I see Microsoft already published their own Avro package as part of their
Hadoop API. I think it's completely independent from the Apache source.
http://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Hadoop.Avro/

Mark

Re: C# + NuGet

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Mark Lamley <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there plans to publish a compiled C# package to NuGet?

None that I've heard of before now.

> I'm not sure how it works with Mono, but NuGet has some support for it.
> There are known issues on Linux and OSX
> http://docs.nuget.org/docs/start-here/nuget-faq
>
> If we want to use NuGet for our dependencies [ ... ]

I'm not sure we should use it for dependencies if it doesn't yet work
on Mono/Linux.  Wouldn't that create duplicated dependency logic?
However perhaps this is reasonable if demand for NuGet is high.

> I can create a JIRA for this.

Please do.

Thanks,

Doug