Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Sambhav Kothari (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)" <sk...@bloomberg.net> on 2018/10/22 15:56:37 UTC

Help with multi-lang searches

Hi,

We have a problem with searches with multiple languages.
Our schema looks something like this:

____
field_en = English content for field

field_es = Spanish

field_it = Italian

etc.
____

When a user searches for a keyword, e.g.:

"brexit" it can also specify several languages s/he wants to see in the response, and the query will be performed on all the fields requested.

The issue is that for 'brexit' Italian results are boosted more because something like "Brexit" is unlikely to occur in the Italian language and the idf shoots up causing less relevant but Italian docs to rank higher than the English ones.

Is there some way to deal with this problem ?

The current solutions we can think of:

1. Create a catchall copyfield and use that to score the docs. (But this creates problems when a word is present in another language (for eg English) and not in the resulting document language (Italian) (we will have to pay also extra disk space of the copyfield and also problems with analysis for multiple languages)
2. Create a new scorer called "IDFGroupScorer" wrapping multiple fields and computing a aggregate idf (by averaging or computing the min/max) across the fields in the group.

Any thoughts on any other solutions or any suggestions on how we could possibly implement the IDFGroupScorer?

Thanks,

Sambhav

Re: Help with multi-lang searches

Posted by Tim Casey <tc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sambhav,

Calculate the percentage of letter pairs per language in the index.
Given the letter pairs in the incoming token, find the closest "match" for
the languages in the indexes.

Even on a small number of tokens you will get close to the intended
language.  You can also calculate the "source language model" in an index
neutral way, say from a known corpus of language specific tokens +
frequency.

Generally this is a tricky thing to do.  Any kind of recall/precision trade
off requires measuring the results for the given data.  It is hard to ask
for general advice.  Sometimes the language segmentation is not done on a
document (index term here) basis.  But the incoming data is segmented by
something like a paragraph or sentence.  So, there is that as well.

I would expect this to be done where the source document is stored raw.
Then, along side the document is a set of probable languages.  From there,
you can pivot the results based on the user expectations.

tim

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Additional possibilities: