Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jack Frosch <jf...@froschenterprises.com> on 2002/02/15 19:29:00 UTC

Apache / Tomcat Content Handling

Now that I have Tomcat 4.0x and Apache 1.3.23 playing nice together
using the Warp connector, I'm wondering about how to deploy the content.

For Tomcat to handle the dynamic stuff, it seems that I have to deploy
all the JSP/Servlet files into Tomcat's webapps directory (unless I
specify otherwise).  Apache will continue serving static content placed
into the DocumentRoot directory.

Is this correct?  Is there no way to simply tell Apache to server JSPs
to Tomcat, rather than pass requests for JSPs to Tomcat?

What I'd like to do is deploy the JSPs with the html files on the Apache
machine.  When a JSP file requested, Apache would pass it to the
registered Tomcat web app for compilation and execution, and Tomcat
would pass the response back to Apache.

I'd think this could be done with Apache's AddType, AddHandler and
Action directives to cause .jsp files to be automatically passed to
Tomcat.  It would work something like this:

#register jsp type
AddType text/html .jsp

# register handler for type
AddHandler tomcat .jsp

# specify WebAppConnection as "path" for handler
Action tomcat WebAppConnection

This way, all the web content (including JSP) would reside on the Apache
machine, all the Java stuff would be on the Tomcat machine, and there
would be a better separation between the two.

Jack

RE: Apache / Tomcat Content Handling

Posted by Jarecsni Janos <ja...@chello.hu>.
Hi,

I use mod_jk with Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat 4.0.2b.

I deploy everything on Tomcat, and configure DocumentRoot to point to
Tomcat's appropriate directory, say $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/myapp.

It works w/ problems.

I don't think that the AddType, AddHandler stuff is for you. That's why
mod_jk and mod_webapp were invented. (with mod_jk you use eg. "JkMount
/*.jsp ajp13" in apache httpd.conf to tell apache to let tomcat process JSPs
using the AJP v 1.3 connector).

Cheers,
Janos.

|Now that I have Tomcat 4.0x and Apache 1.3.23 playing nice together
|using the Warp connector, I'm wondering about how to deploy the content.
|
|For Tomcat to handle the dynamic stuff, it seems that I have to deploy
|all the JSP/Servlet files into Tomcat's webapps directory (unless I
|specify otherwise).  Apache will continue serving static content placed
|into the DocumentRoot directory.
|
|Is this correct?  Is there no way to simply tell Apache to server JSPs
|to Tomcat, rather than pass requests for JSPs to Tomcat?
|
|What I'd like to do is deploy the JSPs with the html files on the Apache
|machine.  When a JSP file requested, Apache would pass it to the
|registered Tomcat web app for compilation and execution, and Tomcat
|would pass the response back to Apache.
|
|I'd think this could be done with Apache's AddType, AddHandler and
|Action directives to cause .jsp files to be automatically passed to
|Tomcat.  It would work something like this:
|
|#register jsp type
|AddType text/html .jsp
|
|# register handler for type
|AddHandler tomcat .jsp
|
|# specify WebAppConnection as "path" for handler
|Action tomcat WebAppConnection
|
|This way, all the web content (including JSP) would reside on the Apache
|machine, all the Java stuff would be on the Tomcat machine, and there
|would be a better separation between the two.
|
|Jack

|--