Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Greg Thompson <th...@credentica.com> on 2007/06/25 17:44:11 UTC

CDATA in properties

In my javadoc-plugin configuration, I currently have something along the
lines of:

<bottom><![CDATA[somestuff &copy; 2007 somestuff.]]></bottom>

For various reasons, I'd like to move the value into a property.  So
I've added this to my pom's properties:

<jdBottom><![CDATA[somestuff &copy; 2007 somestuff.]]></jdBottom>

and changed the javadoc-plugin configuration to:

<bottom>${jdBottom}</bottom>

while help:effective-pom says that the property has the proper value:

<jdBottom>somestuff &amp;copy; 2007 somestuff.</jdBottom>

the expansion of the property is being parsed as XML, yielding this in
the javadoc-plugin configuration:

<bottom>somestuff © 2007 somestuff.</bottom>

This is most definitely NOT what I want.  Of course, the first thing I
tried was to wrap the use of the property in the javadoc-plugin
configuration in another CDATA:

<bottom><![CDATA[${jdBottom}]]></bottom>

This has no effect.

Is there any way to do what I want here?  Thanks.
--
		-Greg

Re: CDATA in properties

Posted by Steven Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Greg Thompson wrote:
> Steven Rowe wrote:
>> Have you tried to add one or more levels to the entity expansion?
>>
>> E.g., specify the following in your properties section:
>>
>>  <jdBottom><![CDATA[somestuff &amp;copy; 2007 somestuff.]]></jdBottom>
>>
>> Or equivalently:
>>
>>  <jdBottom>somestuff &amp;amp;copy; 2007 somestuff.</jdBottom>
>
> Thanks for the reply, Steven.  The trouble with your suggestion is that
> I want the property's value to be precisely "somestuff &amp;copy; 2007
> somestuff." since the same property is being used in another context.

How about composing the components:

 <preamble>somestuff</jdBottomPreamble>
 <postamble>2007 somestuff.</jdBottomPostamble>
 <jdBottom>${preamble} &amp;amp;copy ${postamble}</jdBottom>
 <elsewhere>${preamble} &amp;copy ${postamble}</elsewhere>

That way, you get a single place to set the components, and can use
<elsewhere> in another context.

Steve

Re: CDATA in properties

Posted by Greg Thompson <th...@credentica.com>.