Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Jones <mj...@vasoftware.com> on 2002/07/22 14:14:24 UTC

Questions about memory use

Hello Folks;

I've been doing some experimentation regarding the use of subversion to
manage very large numbers of very large files, in an attempt to see if
subversion is useful to manage documents in a more general sense.  I'd like
to use it to manage archives of deployed software, which obviously is a bit
different than managing source.

I've had the module run out of memory on files that are large, but not huge.
My question is:  is subversion useful for this purpose?  CVS isn't becaue it
copies everything into memory.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

--
Michael Jones
VA Software

Re: Questions about memory use

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Michael Jones <mj...@vasoftware.com> writes:

> I've had the module run out of memory on files that are large, but not huge.
> My question is:  is subversion useful for this purpose?  CVS isn't becaue it
> copies everything into memory.

Subversion doesn't do any such silly things, so it theory, it should
be as scalable as you desire.  However, at the moment, we openly admit
that the current code is still a bit wasteful of memory.  We've not
yet made passes over our code to optimize memory usage; it's a matter
of tweaking here and there.

If you point out specific scenarios where you ran out of memory, we
might be able to say more, or fix the problem.

Re: shfolder.lib

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
"Brent R. Matzelle" <bm...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build svn_com.dll and svn.exe but I keep receiving
> this error: cannot open input file "shfolder.lib".  Where am I
> supposed to find this file?

You have to download a new Windows Platform SDK.  See the INSTALL
file, "E.  Building the Latest Source under Windows"

shfolder.lib

Posted by "Brent R. Matzelle" <bm...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

I am trying to build svn_com.dll and svn.exe but I keep receiving
this error: cannot open input file "shfolder.lib".  Where am I
supposed to find this file?

I posted this earlier but I will post it again because no one
answered it the first time.  I am trying to link with the
libsvn_client.lib on win32 with VC++6 but I am getting linking
errors:

libsvn_client.lib(auth.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _svn_error__locate
libsvn_client.lib(commit_util.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol _svn_error__locate
libsvn_client.lib(externals.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _svn_error__locate

Any Windows experts out there that have an idea about what is going
wrong?  Thanks!

Regards,

Brent

libsvn_client linking errors

Posted by "Brent R. Matzelle" <bm...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

I am trying to link with the libsvn_client.lib on win32 with VC++6
but I am getting a large number of linking errors (377):

libsvn_client.lib(commit_util.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol _apr_pool_destroy@4
libsvn_client.lib(repos_diff.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol _apr_pool_destroy@4
vsvn.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_apr_pool_destroy@4
libsvn_client.lib(add.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _apr_pool_destroy@4
libsvn_client.lib(commit.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _apr_pool_destroy@4
libsvn_client.lib(diff.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _apr_pool_destroy@4
<snip>

The libsvn_client.lib file is being referenced and a dumpbin /symbols
on it shows that these symbols do in fact exist:

<snip>
032 00000000 UNDEF  notype ()    External     | _apr_pool_destroy@4
033 00000000 SECT9  notype       Static       | .rdata
    Section length   17, #relocs    0, #linenums    0, checksum
E717C696, selection    2 (pick any)
    Relocation CRC 00000000
036 00000000 SECT9  notype       External     |
??_C@_0BH@MMMP@error?5closing?5dir?5?$GA?$CFs?8?$AA@ (`string')
037 00000000 UNDEF  notype ()    External     | _apr_dir_close@4
038 00000000 UNDEF  notype ()    External     | _svn_error_createf
<snip>

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?  Thanks!

Warm regards,

Brent