Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/15 02:16:23 UTC

[VOTE - 2] Merge HDFS-12943 branch to trunk - Consistent Reads from Standby

Hi Hadoop developers,

I would like to propose to merge to trunk the feature branch HDFS-12943 for
Consistent Reads from Standby Node. The feature is intended to scale read
RPC workloads. On large clusters reads comprise 95% of all RPCs to the
NameNode. We should be able to accommodate higher overall RPC workloads (up
to 4x by some estimates) by adding multiple ObserverNodes.

The main functionality has been implemented see sub-tasks of HDFS-12943.
We followed up with the test plan. Testing was done on two independent
clusters (see HDFS-14058 and HDFS-14059) with security enabled.
We ran standard HDFS commands, MR jobs, admin commands including manual
failover.
We know of one cluster running this feature in production.

Since the previous vote we addressed Daryn's concern (see HDFS-13873),
added documentation for the new feature, and fixed a few other jiras.

I attached a unified patch to the umbrella jira for the review.
Please vote on this thread. The vote will run for 7 days until Wed Dec 21.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Re: [VOTE - 2] Merge HDFS-12943 branch to trunk - Consistent Reads from Standby

Posted by Chen Liang <va...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks Konstantin for driving the merge vote!

I have been working on the development and testing of the feature. It has
been running for several weeks on our cluster with ~100 nodes, which has HA
and Kerberos enabled. I have been able to run several different MapReduce
jobs and HDFS benchmarks (see HDFS-14058 for more detail). I feel confident
that the feature now has the completed functionality and is ready for merge
into trunk.

Chen

Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com> 于2018年12月14日周五 下午6:24写道:

Re: [Result] [VOTE - 2] Merge HDFS-12943 branch to trunk - Consistent Reads from Standby

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
I just merged the feature branch into trunk.
Look for [SBN read] prefix in commits.
Thank you everybody for working on this.

--Konstantin

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Obviously +1 from me.

Posted by Chen Liang <va...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Obviously +1 from me.

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
+1 (no-binding)

At Uber we've deployed a subset of features covered in this JIRA in
production at multiple data centers, and it's being running great for a
while now. We are seeing huge benefits in terms of scaling our NameNode
throughput and providing better SLA guarantees for applications such as
Presto. We are very much looking forward to try out the full features once
this is merged into trunk.

Chao

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
+1 (no-binding)

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
+1 (no-binding)

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
+1 (no-binding)

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.
+1!

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.
+1!

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.
+1!

Posted by Erik Krogen <ek...@linkedin.com>.
+1 (non-binding) from me

I've been a part of the development of this feature throughout its existence, and have reviewed most of the code committed to the branch. The implementation has been conducted carefully and thoughtfully, and tested at a variety of sites. This feature has no potential negative impact if not enabled, so it does not present a risk to those who do not with to use it. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this be merged, and seeing how its usage can help to enable the community to scale the RPC workload of HDFS beyond what it can support today.

Erik

________________________________

--
Zhe Zhang
Apache Hadoop Committer

Re: [VOTE - 2] Merge HDFS-12943 branch to trunk - Consistent Reads from Standby

Posted by Jonathan Hung <jy...@gmail.com>.
+1!

Posted by Erik Krogen <ek...@linkedin.com>.
+1 (non-binding) from me