Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2010/06/04 21:10:20 UTC

WebM license modification

Google has pushed some changes for their WebM licenses - including
revised patent language.  They now have a blog post up at:

http://webmproject.blogspot.com/2010/06/changes-to-webm-open-source-license.html

Chris had asked me about these changes and I believe that they should
now be compatible with our license - but, now that it's out in the
open (har har har), what do others think?

Notably, http://www.webmproject.org/license/additional/ has a phrase that says:

---
This grant does not include claims that would be infringed only as a
consequence of further modification of this implementation.
---

I think this is line with our patent scope position as described in the FAQ:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#PatentScope

So, I believe this license should now fall under Category
A...but...well, IANAL.  =)

Thanks.  -- justin

RE: WebM license modification

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Category A is appropriate. Congratulations to Google for a good license for
this important technology.

/Larry

bcc: Chris DiBona

Posted by Chris DiBona <cd...@google.com>.
Hey;

So now I have a bit of time, I can answer this a bit more
cogently/completely. See below.

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> While I'm +1 for Google's WebM license and glad to see them adopt it, I've
> found a few things in their license rationale and FAQ that seem discordant.
> What does this mean:
>
>   Why didn't you use the Apache license?
>
>   The Apache license is very similar in effect to this license
>   in that it offers a permissive copyright license and a patent
>   grant. The Apache license is, however, deemed incompatible
>   with a number of projects that might make use of VP8, so we
>   were unable to maintain compatibility with these projects and
>   choose the Apache license.
>
> For the record, which projects consider the Apache license incompatible and
> why? I realize this used to be thought the case for GPLv2, but that was
> based on a misunderstanding within FSF about the legal effect of the Apache
> license. Are there any other projects out there that still resist
> incorporating Apache code?

Many fsf aligned gplv2 projects reject the apache license outright, but that
wasn't the primary reason we went with BSD. We really needed webm to be very
very compatible with webkit, android, chromium, ffmpeg and consumable by
corporations for closed source projects. We also, as you know, like ship
projects with a minimum number of licenses. BSD was right for this use.

> I also noted the following in Chris DiBona's posted rationale for the WebM
> license:
>
>   Chris DiBona wrote:
>   > As it was originally written, if a patent action was brought
>   > against Google, the patent license terminated. This provision
>   > itself is not unusual in an OSS license, and similar provisions
>   > exist in the 2nd Apache License and in version 3 of the GPL.
>   > The twist was that ours terminated "any" rights and not just
>   > rights to the patents, which made our license GPLv3 and GPLv2
>   > incompatible. Also, in doing this, we effectively created a
>   > potentially new open source copyright license, something we
>   > are loath to do.
>
> There are existing OSI-approved licenses, including licenses compatible
> with
> both GPLv3 and Apache, that terminate both patent and copyright licenses if
> the licensor's software is accused of patent infringement. This is on
> purpose. Most contributors don't own patents, so they want to use their
> copyrights to defend themselves against patent infringement lawsuits. I
> wouldn't blame Google if it licensed WebM software that way too, and it is
> certainly not incompatible with FOSS licenses.
>
> The reason this concerns me is that the Apache "Software License Criteria"
> [1] lists such licenses (i.e., AFL 3.0) under Category A, which means that
> Apache software may contain such works, which means that GPLv3 code that
> incorporates Apache software may contain such works, which means that these
> licenses are both compatible and incompatible with GPLv3. Huh? For the
> record, I think FSF and Google are wrong if they really consider such
> licenses incompatible with GPLv3 or with FOSS licenses in general.
>
> I actually don't think they are incompatible, but there is also a
perception problem that we worry about in our group. If we release under a
license that isn't the big '5' (mit, gpl, lgpl, bsd, apache) people will
read motivations into the release. We also like to stick with the 'popular'
licenses for the communities that they bring along with them.

Partly, we also don't really have the time to do the end user education that
picking the afl would require of us. It stinks for newer licenses like yours
to hear "be more popular" but we're kind of in chicken and egg for a variety
of new licenses (and also one of the reasons I don't like new licenses being
created. Maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to do the work?)

Chris

--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source and Developer programs can be found at

RE: WebM license modification

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> Google has pushed some changes for their WebM licenses - including
> revised patent language.  They now have a blog post up at:
>
> http://webmproject.blogspot.com/2010/06/changes-to-webm-open-source-license.html
>
> Chris had asked me about these changes and I believe that they should
> now be compatible with our license - but, now that it's out in the
> open (har har har), what do others think?
>
> Notably, http://www.webmproject.org/license/additional/ has a phrase that says:
>
> ---
> This grant does not include claims that would be infringed only as a
> consequence of further modification of this implementation.
> ---
>
> I think this is line with our patent scope position as described in the FAQ:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#PatentScope
>
> So, I believe this license should now fall under Category
> A...but...well, IANAL.  =)

I have no problem with adding
http://www.webmproject.org/license/software/ as a recognized BSD
variant on the following page: