Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Vivek Ganesan <vi...@vivekganesan.com> on 2013/08/20 16:16:22 UTC

Which SVN location should i checkout for creating patch to branch-1 (HDFS-2933) ?

Hi,

I am a new contributor to Hadoop.  In HDFS-2933
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2933?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13744679#comment-13744679>
(/Datanode index page on debug port not useful/), which I am currently
working on, it has been suggested to attach a patch for 'branch-1'.

/------"Does the same fix work in branch-1? If so you could consider
attaching a patch for branch-1 although that certainly won't prevent
getting this in trunk."/

Could anyone tell me which SVN repository location should I checkout in
order to work on 'branch-1'?  Do the instructions in
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute hold good for that branch too?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vivek Ganesan

Re: Which SVN location should i checkout for creating patch to branch-1 (HDFS-2933) ?

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Vivek,

The current branch where features/bug fixes go to for release 1.x is
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-1

1.x releases are created from the above branch. A new branch is created and
the release is made from that branch. For example,  you can see branch
corresponding to release 1.2 at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-1.2/

BTW you can look at the branches by running the command:
svn ls https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches

When posting branch-1 patch, sometimes porting from trunk to branch-1 is
straightforward. It just requires changing the path to the files that are
changed in the patch. The path change is due to trunk moving to maven
builds from ant in branch-1. Sometimes the port is not straightforward, due
to code differences between the branches and might require substantial
work. That said, for the issue HDFS-2933, porting the patch to branch-1 may
not be necessary, given it is not a big issue.

Regards,
Suresh

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/