Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/28 18:30:11 UTC

EOLs in zip/tar.gz

At present, the EOLs in zip/tar.gz files are fixed by unpacking,
fixing, and repacking the archives.

This is quite time-consuming, and currently requires an extra build step.

I think it might be better to create two sets of assembly files
instead and do the work upfront. E.g. have bin-unix.xml and
bin-windows.xml etc.

It is possible to use variables for the archive type and EOL, but it
does not seem possible to parameterise the archive generation. If one
could, then this would be ideal, as only one set of files would be
needed.

Could reduce duplication somewhat by putting any common files in a
<component> file:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/single/using-components.html

Thoughts?

Re: EOLs in zip/tar.gz

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:
> At present, the EOLs in zip/tar.gz files are fixed by unpacking,
> fixing, and repacking the archives.
>
> This is quite time-consuming, and currently requires an extra build step.
>
> I think it might be better to create two sets of assembly files
> instead and do the work upfront. E.g. have bin-unix.xml and
> bin-windows.xml etc.
>
> It is possible to use variables for the archive type and EOL, but it
> does not seem possible to parameterise the archive generation. If one
> could, then this would be ideal, as only one set of files would be
> needed.
>
> Could reduce duplication somewhat by putting any common files in a
> <component> file:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/single/using-components.html
>
> Thoughts?

Maven assembly plugin is just horrible. I always wanted to replace it
with a custom ant script but never got around to doing that. We should
either work with Maven folks on improving the plugin or replace it with
a custom script

Oleg