Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/05/02 10:52:26 UTC

[Proposal] remove 0.6 docs when doing 0.8 release

We currently have three sets of documentation:
0.70 (current) | 0.80-dev (under development) | 0.60 (past)

The sources are at
site-author/content/xdocs/docs_0_60
site-author/content/xdocs/docs_0_70
site-author/content/xdocs/docs_0_80

When doing the 0.8 release, we will add docs_0_90 for
the new 0.90-dev

I reckon that we should remove the old 0.60 docs from
site-author. Just have three versions available.

Otherwise the build of forrest docs would become
too clunky. Yes unfortunately we have not been able
to find time to improve the 'forrest site' to not
re-build docs if they don't need it.

Another reason is that it is extra bulk in the
distribution.

We should also delete them from the forrest website.
That is a separate issue. We could leave them there
if really needed. Forrest-0.6 users do have a local
copy of those docs.

What do others think?

-David

Re: [Proposal] remove 0.6 docs when doing 0.8 release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I think we also archive older releases of the Forrest binaries too. If
> not we should.

Already done. See the archives.apache.org link from
http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi#archive

It is automatically handled:
http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases
and $FORREST_HOME/etc/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't hurt, but we cannot rely on the way-back-macine for archiving
> > our stuff. That is what SVN is for, and is why we tag on a release. This
> > enables anyone to checkout the code at any point in the future.

We should make the old docs available in various ways.

One aspect of this current proposal was to delete them from
the forrest/site SVN. This takes them away from forrest.apache.org
because it is the 'svn co' of that.

I think that we need them off the net. Too many docs in google.

How about doing what Cocooon is doing, i.e. provide a separate
.zip of the built docs to match what is in the release.

> True. But as long as they do we can make old docs easily accessible
> that way.

My guess in the other reply is that Alexa have already
archived them, just not yet making them available.
According to your date calculation, we should see them
in a couple of months.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.

Ross Gardler wrote:

> Wouldn't hurt, but we cannot rely on the way-back-macine for archiving
> our stuff. That is what SVN is for, and is why we tag on a release. This
> enables anyone to checkout the code at any point in the future.

True. But as long as they do we can make old docs easily accessible
that way.

> I think we also archive older releases of the Forrest binaries too. If
> not we should.

+1

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: [Proposal] remove 0.6 docs when doing 0.8 release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> However, it wouldn't hurt to add a pointer to the wayback machine in
> case somebody wants to look at older version.

> So I'd add something like:
>
> - Open http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forrest.apache.org and find
>   the most recent version of forrest.apache.org in the wayback machine.
>   Add the url to the index page of the versions tab.
>
> wdyt?

Wouldn't hurt, but we cannot rely on the way-back-macine for archiving
our stuff. That is what SVN is for, and is why we tag on a release. This
enables anyone to checkout the code at any point in the future.

I think we also archive older releases of the Forrest binaries too. If
not we should.

Ross

Re: [Proposal] remove 0.6 docs when doing 0.8 release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> However, it wouldn't hurt to add a pointer to the wayback machine in
> case somebody wants to look at older version.

Fantastic idea.

> I just checked. Unfortunately the last entry there is Mar 29 2005
> (http://web.archive.org/web/20050329023101/http://forrest.apache.org/)
> which is about a month before me released 0.7.

I checked a few non-ASF sites and the last available
archive is always around end March 2005.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.apache.org

Perhaps there is a deliberate viewing window
ending at thirteen months ago. That makes sense.

> But this can be helped for future releases if we just add the
> following lines to the documentation publishing task
>
> - Check out http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forrest.apache.org to
>   see if a current version is archived in the wayback machine.
>
>   If not open http://pages.alexa.com/help/webmasters/index.html#crawl_site
>   and ask for forrest.apache.org to be crawled again.
>
> (Have done this today)
>
> With this done we could just add pointers to past stages of
> documentation to out version tabs so that people can still have access
> to all versions without us having to maintain them.
>
> So I'd add something like:
>
> - Open http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forrest.apache.org and find
>   the most recent version of forrest.apache.org in the wayback machine.
>   Add the url to the index page of the versions tab.
>
> wdyt?

I agree. Links direct to svn.apache.org and not viewcvs.cgi
would be good too.

> > Yes. However i just want to make sure that people
> > understand that we are only editing the -dev
> > version of the documentation.
>
> Is that really so. I thought that if we found an error in
> documentation or a bug in an old version we would also change the
> documentation of the current version.

Going away for the weekend. Will answer this
bit later. Remind me if i don't.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.
People wrote:

> I reckon that we should remove the old 0.60 docs from
> site-author.

+1

> We should also delete them from the forrest website.

+1

> Users of 0.6 have the docs in their local copies if they need them.

Yes, that we should always keep in mind.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.
le 02/05/2006 18:53 Ross Gardler a écrit :
> David Crossley wrote:
>> I reckon that we should remove the old 0.60 docs from
>> site-author.

>> We should also delete them from the forrest website.

>> What do others think?
>
> +1
>
> Users of 0.6 have the docs in their local copies if they need them.
+1,

    It is difficult enough to keep 3 versions of the documentation !

Cyriaque,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.