Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Nadeem Anjum <na...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/21 22:12:53 UTC

[GSoC] Update

Hi All,

the status of implementation so far is:

   - We  can now mark specific locations - home, office and hangout (any
   number of these)
   - We have 4 routes between any pair of locations
   - We have the time and distance for each routes
   - We have a criminal object that stores all the above data.
   - We have functions that get and set the above properties of the object
   - User can save the above data into a file on the server
   - User can load data saved from a file on the server
   - Beeline movement has been implemented, given a source and destination,
   one possible path is uniformly chosen and the agent moves along that route.
   - We are also able to analyze beeline movement, by simulating it a
   number of times and shading the paths chosen more number of times with
   thicker poly-lines. Currently since the paths are uniformly chosen all
   poly-lines are of almost equal thickness when simulated a large number of
   times (as expected).
   - User can also save the analysis data to a file.

Unfortunately the server is apparently down, so I have not been able to
deploy the latest code.

Thanks,
Nadeem

Re: [GSoC] Update

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello

Le 22/07/13 19:41, Nadeem Anjum a écrit :
> I will certainly have a look at SIS supported format like a Shapefile or
> NetCDF and see if they serve our needs better.

Currently, the NetCDF code is only a metadata reader. So it is probably
not yet of much use as a data storage format. The Shapefile code still
on a branch - I plan to help with the merge to trunk after I finished
the SIS 0.3 release and updated the web site.

What SIS can provide is a reader and writer of metadata in a XML format
conformant to an international standard. We can see that as a
bibliographical card. For example if "Joe Smith" publishes a map of
"amount of car accidents" in area 45°N to 50°N and 10°E to 15°E in
January 2012, one can write (from memory - if some convenience
constructors are missing, one can always use setter methods):

DefaultExtent extent = new DefaultExtent();
extent.getGeographicElements().add(new DefaultGeographicBoundingBox(10,
15, 45, 50));
extent.getTemporalExtents().add(new DefaultTemporalExtent(...)); // ...
incomplete example ...
DefaultMetadata metadata = new DefaultMetadata(
     new DefaultResponsibleParty("Joe Smith"),
     new Date(), // Use today date as the date when the metadata has
been created.
     new DefaultDataIdentification(
         new DefaultCitation("Amount of car accidents"),
         "An optional short description (abstract) about the map.",
         Locale.ENGLISH, TopicCategory.SOCIETY)));

Now the interesting part is:

     XML.marshall(metadata, new File("myMetadata.xml"));

This will create an ISO 19139 compliant XML file or your metadata. This
file should be readable by many geo-catalogue, both commercials and
other open source projects.

Conversely, you can read such XML file with XML.unmarshall(...) and use
getter methods for fetching the above information.

     Martin

Re: [GSoC] Update

Posted by Nadeem Anjum <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am not able to deploy the latest code for the demo, as the server is
apparently down (http://gw76.iu.xsede.org:8080/) and am not able to connect
to it.
@Suresh- can you please see whats the issue with the server.

Thanks,