Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/30 16:59:39 UTC

Python Donation

While reviewing "Apache Transition" page (1) I noticed the following comment

   - python.x (15 modules, including the wrappers o.jython,
   o.jython.distro) – possibly to be contributed by its non-Oracle authors
   rather than Oracle?

Is anyone on the mailing list one of the "non-Oracle authors" and is it
possible to help expedite the Python donation?

(1) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+Transition

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
Does contrib python work and/or is it usable? (It's been indicated that
it builds)

Ifso, why not create a source repository and release some nbm's to the
plugin portal? (and get some feedback)

If it's in the main maven repository, couldn't there be an "install"
button in NB that downloads and installs the python nbm's? That process
is already part of NB isn't it?

In some ways it seems that having it donated is not the most important
issue.

-ernie

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
The good news is, both you and your colleague and Harry Fairhead are all
programmers. So, you can work with each other and Antonio (who has a great
proposal on this list) and others and (re)introduce any feature you want to
Apache NetBeans.

Gj

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 11:26 AM mike james

Re: Python Donation

Posted by mike james <mi...@infomaxgroup.co.uk.INVALID>.

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Peter Blemel <pb...@hotmail.com>.
For what it's worth, I use NetBeans 8.2 for C/C++ development out of habit, sometimes daily, but have installed the 8.2 C/C++ module into NB12 with success. It is my go-to C/C++ IDE; however, I don't need all the latest language features.  I've used Eclipse and other free IDE's, but NetBeans is (was) hands-down the best IDE to support many tool chains and project configurations. I build or cross-compile for Linux x86 and x64, Linux ARM 32 & 64 bit, Cygwin, QNX and do remote debugging.  I have never liked cmake, but while I'm not crazy about all of the Makefiles that NetBeans creates it's pretty amazing on the whole. I'll use it for as long as I can.

I use NetBeans 12 for J2EE development, using MariaDB and deploying to Payara. The HTML and JavaScript support is pretty good and since I use NetBeans so much for C/C++ I use it for as much as I can - although, I usually debug HTML/JavaScript in the Browser. The workflow is pretty easy.

I am currently using PyCharm for all of my Python development. The Community version has so much functionality that's hard to beat for the price. I haven't tried CLion or other JetBrains C/C++ tools, mostly because NetBeans has all the functionality that I need for free.

 Peter

________________________________

Re: Python Donation

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Python Donation

Posted by mike james <mi...@infomaxgroup.co.uk.INVALID>.

Re: Python Donation

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
Hallo all,

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Eric,

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 1:16 PM Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, dem 30.12.2021 um 18:58 +0000 schrieb Eric Bresie:
> > And there is still no completed donation.
>
> Yes, from my POV this is a good example, that the CLA model of
> development does not work. The only argument for the CLA is, that a
> single party is able to handle copyright and licenses in a sane way,
> that only worked partially and took a really long time. At least that
> is a result of this demonstration.
>
> You should keep in mind, that the first donations were driven by
> Geertjan, who put a lot of effort into it and we don't know how much
> more effort it took behind the scenes. I would not bet on any more
> donations.

Do want to say I appreciated the hard work Geertjan did previously and was
sad when he was no longer still there to spearhead these sorts of things…

> So then what’s next?
>
> Option 1: Take the CDDL/GPLv2 licenses source and make that work on
> Apache NetBeans (nothing stopping the resurrection of nbpython
> project). If the necessary steps are documented and donation happens
> the steps can be reproduced against the donated codebase.

From the nbpython code (I.e.
https://sourceforge.net/p/nbpython/mercurial/ci/default/tree/ ), the
mirrored hg code
http://source.apidesign.org/hg/netbeans/contrib/file/6b5e5bedcd2a , the
mavenized version
https://github.com/timboudreau/netbeans-contrib
?  Or something else?

My branch
https://github.com/ebresie/netbeans/tree/nbpython_integration3

had code mainly from the hg code with tweaks to make it a cluster, updated
headers using the Netbeans tools, and a few other updates.

I was on pause with expectations of picking up (and redoing) once the
donation was available (which why I keep asking about the status).

Is that what is meant?

Option 2: Rebuild Python support from scratch. You already said that
> the LSP approach might work and given that
>
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3385
>
> is tested with python LSP, there is already work done elsewhere.

I’ve been toying with a work in progress on new LSP Python implementation.

For the reference to Python LSP in the above PR, is there some other Python
LSP in work (if so who is doing so as the more the merrier)?

Or was this pr using Python LSP to test the change?  Or was this intended
to use the pr with WIP to further verify the PR?

> Greetings
>
> Matthias

Thanks for the input

Eric
--
Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Attempts to gain knowledge count a lot. How many people have shown up so
far to help you in those attempts? Do you believe that there are people out
there saying to themselves: "No! I will not help that guy with all my
knowledge of Python in NetBeans. I will NOT help that guy. My head is
filled with knowledge that could help him, but I will keep it all to
myself."

Gj

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 7:59 PM Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I think whats being  said is no one having the knowledge or can help is
> present on the mailing list and all calls to do so are going nowhere.
>
> Attempts to gain knowledge (I.e. like trying to learn it and getting it to
> build) don’t apparently count…
>
> And there is still no completed donation.
>
> So then what’s next?

> not involved in Apache NetBeans.
>
> Gj
>
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 7:23 PM Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Your right I’m not someone that knows all the inner workings of all
> things
> > Netbeans or Python, which is why I’ve been asking to those on the list to
> > get guidance.  I’m doing this in my free time without support elsewhere.
> >
> > Over the course of the last few years, I’ve waited for donation updates
> > without much luck. I got it compiling, I updated licenses assuming it was
> > eventually going to come through, and found problems that will need to be
> > resolved eventually (i.e. GitHub CI builds failure due to api depreciated
> > api check).
> >
> > This is what I’ve done so far (see screenshots of working code on my
> notes
> > here
> >

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ua48Uu6OTKNkcG_9sQOOicl5JpjrBtMgSy4SSjumAuU
> >
> > So if that isn’t enough then maybe I should move on to a community more
> > welcome to new developers.
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 12:07 PM Geertjan Wielenga
> > <ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sorry but trying to is not enough -- what percentage of that code
> do
> > > you actually really understand? How sure are you that you want that
> code
> > > be released as part of Apache NetBeans? Are you going to be the one who
> > > will fix all the issues that are in that code?
> > >
> > > Gj

> https://lists.apache.org/list?dev@netbeans.apache.org:lte=4y:&header_subject=python

> have
> > > it.

> > > real

> take
> > > on
> > > status

> > team
> past
> > so
> Code,

> > > around

> > authors

> > > non-Oracle

> > and

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+Transition

> > --
> > Eric Bresie
> > ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Python Donation

Nothing to do with being welcoming to new developers. Everything to do with
people knowledgeable about the codebase in question, i.e., the Python
modules were written by people who are not on this mailing list and who are

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.