Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/23 21:27:26 UTC

NB printing question

I'm on a Mac running NB 8.2 and was wondering what folks do to get Netbeans
to provide decent print output?  Here's my issue/situation: I use Netbeans
with a dark theme (Darcula).  When I want to print something, "Print
Options" lets me choose to "Print as in Editor" - which I can't choose
because I'll quickly run out of ink on the printer - or manually specify
various font/foreground attributes - which I also can't use because in that
mode, printouts seem to ignore tabs - i.e. all my code is left-justified :-(

The only thing I could think of to do is to switch back to a dark-on-white
theme whenever I need to print and select "Print as in Editor" - but that's
pretty hokey (plus I get some pretty strange results on a B/W printer when
the syntax highlighting color doesn't have enough contrast).

Any alternative suggestions?  I don't print very often anymore, but it sure
would be nice to have decently formatted java code to look at.

thnx,
tom

--
tjwolf@gmail.com
http://landofwolf.blogspot.com/

Re: NB printing question

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
Interesting. I can't remember when I printed last from NetBeans but I guess in your case you would need a combobox next to 'Print as in Editor' that offers the Profiles from Options | Fonts and Colors?

Alternatively it would also help you if you could clone the editor with another Profile and print that one.

Both ideas need some code writing so perhaps it would help to report the idea here https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NETBEANS/issues/ You could also give it a try yourself, the editor code is big but it makes sense when you jump into it.

​--emi​

Re: NB printing question

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Geertjan - aside from not preserving tab width settings & some text
being a little difficult to read (in dark themes, there's lots of
light-colored fonts for keyword, comment, etc. that become very light grey
on greyscale printers), that works pretty well.  At least it's faster than
switching themes to print.

tom

Re: NB printing question

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.