Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dan D." <da...@dubomail.com> on 2008/02/05 00:46:01 UTC

Out of Memory Errors when upgrading from 5.0.27 to 6.0.14

Hello all,

I'm currently working on upgrading our systems from using Tomcat 5.0.27 to 6.0.14.

The upgrades are not being done in place (ie, we will have both systems out there, and will be doing migrations to the new version).  I have been able to resolve most of the issues we have run into thus far, however, I am now somewhat stuck, and am hoping someone here may be able to help.

About the environment:
Shared hosting, with approximately 300-600 users on a server, with an average of ~1500 applications (many users have a few applications).  Not all users are utilizing any java at all, however.  Apache 1.3.33 is running and configured to serve static content.

The older servers with TC5 on them have ~6GB of available RAM, new servers for TC6 have 8GB of RAM.

Customer content is stored on a remote NAS server.

While I understand that having the <Host> and <Context> declaration for all users listed in server.xml, that is how we have it currently configured.

About the problem:
When tomcat is started and running on our existing 5.0.27 server, it uses approximately 1GB of RAM, and successfully runs all applications without issue.

When starting tomcat on the 6.0.14 server with the _exact_ same content, however, it runs out of heap space.  This is the issue I'm running into right now that I can't seem to find any answers about.  Attempting to increase the available heap results in an error allocating memory upon startup.

The output from jmap seems to show that the majority of the heap/memory is being consumed by character arrays.

When viewing the {tomcat.home}/work/{engine}/{application} directory, it appears there is a fair difference on how these are loaded into tomcat.

On Tomcat5, this directory consists of only directories that contain a WEB-INF directory in them, and each of those have a tldCache.ser file.

On Tomcat6, this directory consists of all directories located inside a directory that contains a WEB-INF directory.

For example:
Tomcat 6:
[root@servername ]# pwd ; find .
/web/tomcat/work/hosting/sitename.com
.
./_
./cgi
./stats
./php_uploads
./images
./ad
./Video
./Templates
./Flv
./Songs
./newwebsite
./old files
./manager

Tomcat5:
[root@servername ]# pwd; find .
/web/tomcat/work/hosting/sitename.com
.
./_
./_/tldCache.ser

And the contents of the actual home directory are:
[root@servername html]# find . -maxdepth 1 -type d
.
./cgi
./stats
./php_uploads
./WEB-INF
./images
./ad
./Video
./Templates
./Flv
./Songs
./newwebsite
./old files

I have read http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory and attempted all the suggestions there, to no avail.

Thus, it appears that on Tomcat6, it is attempting to load all of these paths into memory, and eventually runs out.  Tomcat5 did not load all of the paths to directories without applications, and thus uses less of the heap.

Does it seem like I am on the right track here?  Have others encountered this in the past?  Is there a way to prevent this behavior within Tomcat 6?

I thank you for any insight you can provide on this issue.

Sincerely,
Dan D.

Re: Out of Memory Errors when upgrading from 5.0.27 to 6.0.14

Posted by "Dan D." <da...@dubomail.com>.
This worked perfectly.

Thank you very much for your patience and help.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Dan D." <da...@dubomail.com>.
>Since it's the declared appBase, *any* directories immediately under it
>are going to be treated as webapps, and will create entries in Tomcat's
>work directory.

conf/Catalina/www.domain.com doesn't have any xml files, so that isn't it.
However, /home/user/html is the users home directory, so is the root of
where they upload files.  _Everything_ is in there.  This then is the root
of my problem.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dan D. [mailto:dan@dubomail.com]
> Subject: Re: Out of Memory Errors when upgrading from 5.0.27 to 6.0.14
>
> I added a ROOT directory in /home/user/html, with a META-INF
> and WEB-INF directory in it.
>
> When starting tomcat, however, the work directory is still full of
> directories that have nothing to do with the actual application.

What you did sounds good, so far.  What else is under /home/user/html?
Since it's the declared appBase, *any* directories immediately under it
are going to be treated as webapps, and will create entries in Tomcat's
work directory.

Also check what's under conf/Catalina/www.domain.com; any files
immediately under that directory with an extension of .xml will be
considered as context descriptors.

Posted by "Dan D." <da...@dubomail.com>.
Chuck,

I updated the server.xml for this user to be:

<Host name='www.domain.com'
                                debug='0'
                                appBase='/home/user/html'
                                unpackWARs='true'
                                autoDeploy='false'>
                                <Alias>domain.com</Alias>
                                <Valve
className='org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn'
                                        debug='0'/>
                                <Valve
className='org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve'
                                        directory='/var/log/user'
                                        prefix='tomcat_access.'
                                        suffix='.log'
                                        pattern='common'
                                        resolveHosts='false'/>
                        </Host>

I added a ROOT directory in /home/user/html, with a META-INF and WEB-INF
directory in it.  Added context.xml with the contents of:

<Context debug='0' reloadable='false'/>

inside META-INF.

Removed WEB-INF from /home/user/html.

Removed all contents from the Tomcat work directory as well.

When starting tomcat, however, the work directory is still full of
directories that have nothing to do with the actual application.

If I read your response correctly (there's a good chance I didn't), the
steps I took should be the right ones.  However, if that were the case,
should all of the random directories still have a place in the Tomcat work
directory?

Thanks!

Dan.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Dan D." <da...@dubomail.com>.
It is entirely possible that this environment isn't setup in a optimal way,
and also that I may be messing up some of the proper names.

To provide a real world example (names and paths have been changed, but all
information is the same), here is the Host entry for a domain (same in both
TC5 and 6 currently) that we are using, as well as the work directories for
each:

server.xml entry:
<Host name='www.domain.com'
 debug='0'
 appBase='/home/user/html'
 unpackWARs='true'
 autoDeploy='false'>
 <Alias>domain.com</Alias>
 <Context path='' docBase='' debug='0' reloadable='false'/>
 <Valve  className='org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn'
  debug='0'/>
 <Valve  className='org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve'
  directory='/var/log/user'
  prefix='tomcat_access.'
  suffix='.log'
  pattern='common'
  resolveHosts='false'/>
</Host>

Work directory under Tomcat 5:
[root@javaserver www.domain.com]# pwd; find .
/web/tomcat/work/hosting/www.domain.com
.
./_
./_/tldCache.ser

Work directory under Tomcat 6:
[root@javaserver www.domain.com]# pwd ; find .
/web/tomcat/work/hosting/www.domain.com
.
./_
./stats
./files
./includes
./misc
./modules
./profiles
./scripts
./sites
./themes
./forum
./lists
./members
./staging

As for why the WEB-INF is at the same level as a war file, it is a shared
hosting environment, and that is their document root.  It allows the user to
have an application at http://domain.com as well as upload a war file for
additional applications they wish to run from say, http://domain.com/blog.
It sounds as though this should be done differently?

I'm more or less rebuilding the environment with the upgrade, so any
recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Dan D." <da...@dubomail.com>.
Most of the advice that I received on this topic was pretty much the same:
Use a profiler to determine what is using the heap.

I went out and got a demo copy of yourkit as Filip suggested, and ran it
against a 512MB heap dump (lowered max heap to that, and
used the heap that was dumped on OOME).

Well over half of the heap was consumed by
java.util.HashMap(.HashMap$Entry[]).

This lead me back to my suspicion that the issue may lie with the number of
directories that are created in the tomcat work/engine/application
directory.

The following example explains the difference in behavior between Tomcat 5
and Tomcat 6 that I am seeing:

Customer has the following directory structure:

/home/user/html
\_ WEB-INF/
|    \_ classes/
|    \_ lib/
\_ images/
\_ movies/
\_ mp3s/
\_ blog/
\_ new_application.war

Now, in Tomcat 5, they would have a work directory structure of the
following:
/{tomcat.home}/work/{engine.name}/
    \_ ./application_name
        \_  _ (the directory name is simply “_”)
        |     \_ tldCache.ser
        \_   new_application
        \_ tldCache.ser

Tomcat 6, however, would set it up as follows:

./application_name
\_  _
\_ new_application
\_ images/
\_ movies/
\_ mp3s/
\_ blog/

Add in a few more directories for flair (say, for subdomains / aliases /
other applications), and we can see that the number of these directories
that are created gets out of hand quickly.

To put numbers on it, for Tomcat 5, we have a total of ~11,000 files and
directories in the {tomcat.home}/work/{engine.name} directory and
subdirectories.  In Tomcat 6, it fails on OOME at around 27,000 directories.

So, I suppose my question is, is this behavior intended?  Is there a config
option I can use to disable it at all, or do we simply have to reduce the
number of applications that are being run under the new version?

As a side note, I was able to eventually get Tomcat to start, once I removed
a number of applications that had the highest count of directories that were
created in the work directory structure.

Also, we do hope to move to 64bit versions soon, but they aren't here yet,
so I only have the 32 bit to work with.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

From: "Christopher Schultz" <ch...@christopherschultz.net>

Posted by prakash shanmugam <pr...@gmail.com>.
hai dan,

If I am not wrong, try to close all the connection string and make the user
defined variables as null.

(Eg)

1)      (Statement object)--à st.close();

2)      (String)às=null;

Hope it will solve your problem to some extend, even then if your problem is
not solved. Then you have to change the heap size in the tomcat server (that
may be relative to RAM size of the machine where the tomcat is running).

--
with Regards
S.Prakash

Re: Out of Memory Errors when upgrading from 5.0.27 to 6.0.14

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Out of Memory Errors when upgrading from 5.0.27 to 6.0.14

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
ok, so there is a leak in the Java Heap, one way to figure out what is
going would be to add
-XX:+*HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
to the command line options.
This will dump the heap to a file that you can analyze. You need some
serious RAM on a box to analyze a thread dump like that, but it will
tell you everything.
I use www.yourkit.com when I analyze heapdumps

Filip
*

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dan D. [mailto:dan@dubomail.com]
> Subject: Re: Out of Memory Errors when upgrading from 5.0.27 to 6.0.14
>
> [Full GC 1982271K->1982271K(1999424K), 7.5088700 secs]

You obviously have a serious memory leak - the 2 GB heap is filled with
live objects, so the GC doesn't really accomplish anything.  Try using a
profiler to find out not only what objects are taking up the space but
also who's allocating them.  Do this with a much smaller heap so you can
get to the full condition more quickly.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
what's the message after