Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Peter Treitler <pe...@student.tugraz.at> on 2008/08/20 14:36:26 UTC

Video streaming load test

Hello,

I am trying to stream a video in one of my load tests. I have searched
and I have read that this is possible with JMeter, however I can't get
it to work.
I've got an HTTP request with something like GET
rtsp://mysite/myvideo.mp4 and I get a 404 error for that.
When i replace the rtsp: with http: i get an OK response, but it only
has 53 Bytes.
I want the test to stream the whole video. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Video streaming load test

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20/08/2008, Peter Treitler <pe...@student.tugraz.at> wrote:
> sebb schrieb:
>
> > On 20/08/2008, Peter Treitler
> <pe...@student.tugraz.at> wrote:
> >

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >  I am trying to stream a video in one of my load tests. I have searched
> and
> > > I have read that this is possible with JMeter, however I can't get it to
> > > work.
> > >

> > Where is this documented?
> >

>  It's not documented, I found that in the mailing list:
> http://snipurl.com/3i18z

Which says:

"if the media file is accessible as a normal URL, you should be able to just
create a test plan with the correct URL and start the test."

which is much the same as I wrote.

> > >  I've got an HTTP request with something like GET
> rtsp://mysite/myvideo.mp4
> > > and I get a 404 error for that.
> > >

> > Most likely because the rtsp: protocol is not supported.
> >

>  So there's no way to make JMeter stream rtsp videos?

No.

Though of course you could write your own sampler, assuming the
protocol is documented somewhere.

> > >  When i replace the rtsp: with http: i get an OK response, but it only
> has
> > > 53 Bytes.
> > >  I want the test to stream the whole video. How can I do that?
> > >

> > I would guess that the http response may contain details of how to
> > download the MP4.
> >
> > However, unless this uses a protocol that JMeter understands, this won't
> help.
> >

>  That's what I got:
>
>  Response headers:
>  HTTP/1.0 200 OK
>  Server: QTSS/4.0
>  Connection: Close

And what is the content?

>  When i copy the http URL to my browser it plays the video though.

Presumably because the browser has a suitable plugin that understands
the protocol.

Posted by Peter Treitler <pe...@student.tugraz.at>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20/08/2008, Peter Treitler <pe...@student.tugraz.at> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I am trying to stream a video in one of my load tests. I have searched and
> I have read that this is possible with JMeter, however I can't get it to
> work.

Where is this documented?