Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2005/07/06 21:51:56 UTC

[ANNOUNCE][VFS] commons-vfs 1.0 RC2 available

Hi!

The commons vfs community is happy to announce the availability of
commons-vfs 1.0 RC2.

Please find the RC at
http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs

The site can be reviewed at
http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs-1.0-RC2/site

This release contains fixes in the area of multi-threading with ftp and
webdav filesystems and some other minor fixes.

Thanks to all those people who constantly pushing VFS ahead!

---
Mario

Re: [ANNOUNCE][VFS] commons-vfs 1.0 RC2 available

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 16:48 +0200, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
> >And is org.apache.commons.vfs.example package meant to be there?
> >
> Do you have a tip how to exclude it from the binary build please.
> Have it in the source package isnt that bad as this package should hold
> some exmpales - hopefully they get more and more in  the future.

I would suggest putting examples in a separate directory tree from the
main source, eg
  src/java
  src/test
  src/examples

Distributing the examples with the src distro is then a matter of adding
a <copy> tag to the maven.xml for the source distribution goal.

I don't know whether you have unit tests that run against the example
code - if so, I don't know quite how to arrange that.

If you prefer to keep the examples in with the "real" code, then perhaps
you can do something like this in project.xml:
<build>
  <sourceModifications>
    <sourceModification>
      <className>no.such.class</className>
      <excludes>
        <exclude>**/*Example.java</exclude>
      </excludes>
    </sourceModification>
  </sourceModifications>

See: http://maven.apache.org/reference/project-descriptor.html#build

I think this will also have the desired effect of suppressing javadoc
for the excluded classes.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [ANNOUNCE][VFS] commons-vfs 1.0 RC2 available

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
>And is org.apache.commons.vfs.example package meant to be there?

Do you have a tip how to exclude it from the binary build please.
Have it in the source package isnt that bad as this package should hold
some exmpales - hopefully they get more and more in  the future.

Thanks!
---

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 22:25 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 21:51 +0200, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > The commons vfs community is happy to announce the availability of
> > commons-vfs 1.0 RC2.

I've noticed that the main code contains a class called "RunTest2". Is
this really meant to be part of the distribution and javadocs?

And is org.apache.commons.vfs.example package meant to be there?

In class DelegatingFileSystemOptionsBuilder the example from the javadoc
has bad formatting; <pre> tags probably need to be applied.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [ANNOUNCE][VFS] commons-vfs 1.0 RC2 available

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 12:32 +0200, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Ok, If you think its better to have those tests running (even if they
> fail) I will delete the comment from the RELEASE_NOTES.txt.

Well, firstly that's only my opinion that having some tests fail is
better than not running any.

Re "delete the comment" -- well, I think it would be better to just
update it to say something like:
  Some tests may fail unless you've followed the necessary setup
  as described here:...... This is ok; the jar will still be fine.

> Thanks Simon for taking all the time to always check the distribution!

You're welcome. VFS looks like a very useful piece of software so I'm
happy to help.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [ANNOUNCE][VFS] commons-vfs 1.0 RC2 available

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Simon!
>When building the src distribution using "maven" the unit tests actually
>run, despite the statement in the RELEASE_NOTES. About 50% of them pass.
>The jar file gets built anyway. Personally, I'm reasonably happy with
>this; it's better than running no tests as far as I am concerned. But if
>things are to be left like this then the RELEASE_NOTES.txt needs to be
>updated.

Grrrr - I just wanted to have the test-reports and clearly this
project.xml made it into the distribution.
Ok, If you think its better to have those tests running (even if they
fail) I will delete the comment from the RELEASE_NOTES.txt.

(I'll check the other points from your mail)

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 21:51 +0200, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The commons vfs community is happy to announce the availability of
> commons-vfs 1.0 RC2.
>
> Please find the RC at
> http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs
>
> The site can be reviewed at
> http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs-1.0-RC2/site
>

> This release contains fixes in the area of multi-threading with ftp and
> webdav filesystems and some other minor fixes.
>
> Thanks to all those people who constantly pushing VFS ahead!

The gpg/pgp signatures and md5 sums are all ok.

When building the src distribution using "maven" the unit tests actually
run, despite the statement in the RELEASE_NOTES. About 50% of them pass.
The jar file gets built anyway. Personally, I'm reasonably happy with
this; it's better than running no tests as far as I am concerned. But if
things are to be left like this then the RELEASE_NOTES.txt needs to be
updated.

Building with "ant" didn't run the tests. And it didn't put the
LICENSE.txt or NOTICE.txt files into the jarfile's META-INF directory
either.

The binary jar contains this strange directory called "code". Is this
meant to be here (it looks like something from a unit test maybe).

Everything else looks good.

Regards,

Simon