Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brad Rhoads <br...@zethcon.com> on 2005/01/06 01:08:31 UTC

Need Consultant $$ [RE: Oracle 9i client connection to 8i database]

Our web app needs to talk to oracle. All is well if the app runs on the db
server. But at a client site and on our now on own network, if the app is on
a different box, it can't get an oracle connection. It works fine on 2 boxes
at other client sites.

A related item seems to be that since the change in our network (we just
added a fire wall, the app itself has not changed), we have to change the
Net8 configuration to use a service name instead of a sid.

The web app makes a connection using a sid. (I've been looking for way to
change our connection to use a service name with no luck so far.)

We've had a similar problem when the app was outside the firewall, the db
was behind it, and the firewall didn't allow high-ports through. But in the
case of our client and our own case, both machines are behind the firewall.

I currently have the webapp running on the db server, but the client is very
unhappy with this and my boss wants me to seek what ever help is necessary
to resolve this problem.

If you think you can help, please reply privately with your rate,
availability. I think everything can be done remotely, but it might mean a
trip to the client on Monday if we can't work it out by then.

Re: Need Consultant $$ [RE: Oracle 9i client connection to 8i database]

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
It sounds like your using a type2 driver. Switch to the type 4 driver and you
don't need and Oracle binaries (except the jar file) and things might work a
little better.

-Tim

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
Try the type 4 driver and make sure that you're not NAT'ing the addresses
anywhere.  Oracle doesn't like NATs, you'll need a sqlnet proxy in order for
something like that to work.  I've used Cisco PIX firewalls which have a
sqlnet proxy built in.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson