Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/09/30 09:22:13 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Karaf 2.2.4 roadmap

Hi all,

I prepared the roadmap for Karaf 2.2.4. I selected 13 issues that we
should include:

KARAF-907 	Include 64 bits wrapper library
KARAF-894 	Kar deployment failed
KARAF-891 	Problem either with documentation or shell regarding
  		wrapped wrap:mvn artifacts
KARAF-881 	Make aliases to osgi:* commands to be more clear for
  		the users
KARAF-875 	Unable to define Maven repository URL while adding a
		features URL
KARAF-867 	Inconsistent deployment behavior between bundle
		installer and feature installer
KARAF-859 	URLs deleted via features:removeurl are coming back on
		a karaf instance restart (when cellar is also being
		used)
KARAF-811 	Combination of wrap+mvn and instructions doesnt work
		any more
KARAF-810 	pax-url-mvn doesn't work correctly with jline
KARAF-762 	dev:watch should support multiple bundle IDs
KARAF-610 	Can't input the path string completely via karaf shell
KARAF-608 	Allow for multi-stage boot features installation
KARAF-541 	Support JMX SSL via etc/org.apache.karaf.management.cfg

Feel free to include others Jiras or postpone some.

If all is OK, I would like to cut off Karaf 2.2.4 end of the next week.

On the other hand, I propose to freeze all new features and improvements
on the Karaf 2.2.x branch.
Just after Karaf 2.2.4, we really have to focus on Karaf 3.0.0,
performing a bunch of tests, including the refactoring that we want,
etc, etc.

WDYT ?

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf 2.2.4 roadmap

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Focusing more on Karaf 3.0 would be a good thing after Karaf 2.2.4 is
released, that being said I wouldn't fully freeze new development on
2.2.x just encourage more time to be spent on the 3.0.x line. The
2.2.x line will continue for a long time, I think we just want to put
a push on getting Karaf 3.0.0 out.

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
I agree with Guillaume. However, I feel that anything we add to 2.2.x after
2.4 should be only focused on critical defects. Any new functionality should
be pushed to 3.0.

-----
Mike Van
Mike Van's Open Source Technologies Blog

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf 2.2.4 roadmap

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Guillaume,

I'm agree by the high usage of Karaf 2.2.x.

My proposal is just to really limit the enhancements and new features on
the Karaf 2.2.x to focus on Karaf 3.0. Of course, we continue bug fixing
on this branch.

The purpose is to "force" ourself to use more the trunk, fixing issues
that we see.

Regards
JB

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.