Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by ss...@woh.rr.com on 2014/03/26 16:11:52 UTC

permissions on log files that RollingFileAppender creates

In my log4j.properties, it is configured to use

	log4j.appender.logfile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender

In previous versions, the log files it auto-created had 660 (rw-rw----) permissions,
but now it seems to create them with 640 (rw-r-----).

Is there a property I can set within the log4j.properties file to tell
the file appender what permissions to create the new log files with?

I am working with an Oracle supplied Apache server.
	Oracle-Application-Server-10g/10.1.3.5.0 Oracle-HTTP-Server

The previous versions were 10.1.2.x.x that created the log files with the desired 660 permissions.
Due to patching level requirements, I have to be at the 10.1.3.5.0 level.

Re: permissions on log files that RollingFileAppender creates

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I wonder if different versions of Java use different permissions when
creating files...

Gary

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM, <ss...@woh.rr.com> wrote:

> I am confident it is not a umask issue.
> Even when /etc/profile, the user's .profile and the script that starts up
> the Oracle app all have open umasks, the logger still creates 640.
>

> ---- Steffen Ryll <st...@iteratec.de> wrote:
> > Could it be that the umask has changed for the user that runs the
> AppServer?
> >
> > Call "umask" on a unix system to find out what the default permissions
> > for newly created files is. Read "man umask" for more info. Note that he
> > output of umask is inverted, it won't show 660 directly, rather
> > something like 006.
> >

> > /Steffen
> >
> > Am 26.03.2014 16:11, schrieb sschaefer1@woh.rr.com:
> > > In my log4j.properties, it is configured to use
> > >
> > >     log4j.appender.logfile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
> > >
> > > In previous versions, the log files it auto-created had 660
> (rw-rw----) permissions,
> > > but now it seems to create them with 640 (rw-r-----).
> > >
> > > Is there a property I can set within the log4j.properties file to tell
> > > the file appender what permissions to create the new log files with?
> > >
> > > I am working with an Oracle supplied Apache server.
> > >     Oracle-Application-Server-10g/10.1.3.5.0 Oracle-HTTP-Server
> > >
> > > The previous versions were 10.1.2.x.x that created the log files with
> the desired 660 permissions.
> > > Due to patching level requirements, I have to be at the 10.1.3.5.0
> level.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: permissions on log files that RollingFileAppender creates

Posted by ss...@woh.rr.com.

Posted by Steffen Ryll <st...@iteratec.de>.
Could it be that the umask has changed for the user that runs the AppServer?

Call "umask" on a unix system to find out what the default permissions
for newly created files is. Read "man umask" for more info. Note that he
output of umask is inverted, it won't show 660 directly, rather
something like 006.

/Steffen

Am 26.03.2014 16:11, schrieb sschaefer1@woh.rr.com:
> In my log4j.properties, it is configured to use
>
> 	log4j.appender.logfile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
>
> In previous versions, the log files it auto-created had 660 (rw-rw----) permissions,
> but now it seems to create them with 640 (rw-r-----).
>
> Is there a property I can set within the log4j.properties file to tell
> the file appender what permissions to create the new log files with?
>
> I am working with an Oracle supplied Apache server.
> 	Oracle-Application-Server-10g/10.1.3.5.0 Oracle-HTTP-Server
>
> The previous versions were 10.1.2.x.x that created the log files with the desired 660 permissions.
> Due to patching level requirements, I have to be at the 10.1.3.5.0 level.

Re: permissions on log files that RollingFileAppender creates

Posted by ss...@woh.rr.com.
I confirmed, it is Java version "1.6.0.20" that was running both
    10.1.3.5.0 Oracle-HTTP-Server (that is producing 660 log file permissions)
and the previous
    10.1.2.x.x Oracle-HTTP-Server (that was producing the desired 640 log file permissions)
I don't think it is the Java runtime.

Though, isn't the log file appender code part of Java?

---- Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the java version used in 10.1.3.5.0 Oracle-HTTP-Server and in  the
> older version?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Thursday, March 27, 2014, <ss...@woh.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > In my log4j.properties, it is configured to use
> >
> >         log4j.appender.logfile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
> >
> > In previous versions, the log files it auto-created had 660 (rw-rw----)
> > permissions,
> > but now it seems to create them with 640 (rw-r-----).
> >
> > Is there a property I can set within the log4j.properties file to tell
> > the file appender what permissions to create the new log files with?
> >
> > I am working with an Oracle supplied Apache server.
> >         Oracle-Application-Server-10g/10.1.3.5.0 Oracle-HTTP-Server
> >
> > The previous versions were 10.1.2.x.x that created the log files with the
> > desired 660 permissions.
> > Due to patching level requirements, I have to be at the 10.1.3.5.0 level.

Re: permissions on log files that RollingFileAppender creates

Posted by ss...@woh.rr.com.
In the same directory structure that the Oracle app is installed in is:

java version "1.5.0.03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0.03-_13_feb_2006_16_39)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0.03 jinteg:02.13.06-21:25 IA64, mixed mode)

I believe the old version is / was:

java version "1.4.2.07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2.07-050121-15:53)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.4.2 1.4.2.07-050121-21:06-IA64N IA64, mixed mode)

in the user's environment, the ORACLE_HOME variable a different version is set to:

java version "1.5.0.23"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0.23-_15_may_2011_12_11)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0.23 jinteg:05.15.11-11:40 IA64, mixed mode)

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.