Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2001/05/21 12:50:45 UTC

[PLAN] Xalan-J 2.1 release plan; target: Tue, 22-May-01

What - you're surprised we're slipping?  This is
software, not the atomic time clock...  8-)

<xalan-j-2.1-release-plan-v.1.1>
---- Contents: ----
-- Release number/purpose/target date/compiler
-- Overview - what's in the release
-- Code Slush is here
-- Notable ToDo Items
-- Comments? Volunteers?
(Sorry for the horrible formatting; using my other
mail account)
---- Items: ----
-- Release number/purpose/target date/compiler
We haven't had a release for a while, and have had
both a number of bugfixes in the main Xalan codebase
as well as this nifty donation of the XSLTC work.
Thus, we'd like to have a Xalan-J 2.1 build come out
on Tuesday.
We plan to compile this like previous releases, on a
WinNT system with Sun's JDK 1.2.2.  Note that this
does not imply xalan doesn't work on 1.1.x JDK's, it's
just easier to manage the build since our docs only
build on 1.2.x.  Side-Note: compiling just the XSLTC
portion does require 1.2+, although running it does
not.

-- Overview - what's in the release
!Xalan! your favorite XSLT processor, with numerous
bugfixes and minor improvements!  We've already made a
number of fixes since our last release, and will
triage a few more over the next week or so.  Many
apologies to those bugs we haven't been able to get to
yet: Scott and some other committers are still working
to get the DTM and other work ready for our next
release.

!XSLTC! a newly donated XSLT processor that compiles
stylesheets into Java bytecode, called Translets!  As
announced earlier, a team at Sun has donated their
'XSLTC' processor to the Xalan project.  We have
quickly performed a very minimal integration with
Xalan so far, but have plans to merge the two products
much more fully in later releases.

For now, you'll get the xalan.jar that many of you
know and love, plus a bonus xsltc.jar.  We have
integrated the documentation from both products,
although much of the code is still a bit separate.

Previous Xalan users can just ignore the xsltc.jar;
you won't need to make any changes.  Previous XSLTC
users can just ignore xalan.jar; some of the
supporting .jars have changed locations, but otherwise
it should work as before.  Of course any users who are
excited about seeing how we're going to integrate and
improve the two .jars will want to peek at both...
XSLTC will support it's old API, has a basic command
line interface, and will support a limited JAXP
interface using StreamSource/StreamResult objects only
for easy prototyping in this release
(DOMSource/Result, SAXSourceResult planned for later,
of course).

Xalan testing is as usual, with more conf and API
tests available.  We have a basic XsltcMainWrapper to
run the conf tests with XSTLC; beyond that we'll have
release notes that note what things the XSLTC module
supports so far.  Oh, and we will be using the
xerces.jar from their 1.3.1 release.

-- Code Slush is here!
Please avoid checking in any risky work to the main
branch until we send out the official build notice.
If you have other non-risky work, let me know directly
what you're checking in so I can pull it immediately.

(Yes, we'll work on fixing the GUMP smoketest fails; I
think this is a minor issue - party because CVS was so
slow last week, and partly because GUMP doesn't yet
trust the prebuilt .jar files XSLTC uses)
(Sorry again we've missed a couple of the
voted-for/High-priority bugs: many of the committers
have been working on the rest of life lately -
annoying how that seems to get in the way
sometimes...)

-- Notable ToDo Items
Shane/Don to update build.xml dist target to include
xsltc code and dependencies (Done)
Don to checkin doc to include xsltc chapters on
design, user guide, release notes (Done)
Tom/Todd/Morten to review xsltc chapters in the doc
(Status?)
Tom/Todd/Morten to write xsltc-specific release notes
(after Don checks in spot for them)(Status?)
Todd to implement minimal (StreamSource, StreamResult
only) JAXP support in xsltc (Done)
Todd/Morten to move ...xsltc/demo to be under
xml-xalan/java/samples/xsltc and remove packagenames
(Done)
Tom/Shane run automated tests on both xalan and xsltc
(in progress)
Tom to test xsltc user guide actual steps (Status?)
Shane to track down people to help with GUMP smoketest
fail (In progress, Sam Ruby should be back from
vacation today)
Shane to checkin xerces.jar 1.3.1 (Done)
Costin to remove javax.xml.parsers files from
xml-xalan/java CVS (Status?)

-- Comments? Volunteers?
Let us know what you think of this plan and if you
have specific comments/complaints/suggestions.  Any
last minute testing help is welcome, especially on
different systems/platforms.  Also see
xml-xalan/java/todo.xml and xsltc_todo.xml

</xalan-j-2.1-release-plan-v.1.1>
- Shane

=====
<eof msg="This is not my regular email account"
 humor="These are not the droids you're looking for" />

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Re: [PLAN] Xalan-J 2.1 release plan; target: Tue, 22-May-01

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
+1

> Costin to remove javax.xml.parsers files from
> xml-xalan/java CVS (Status?)

Done and tested ( not included in the jar, the files are still in CVS -
will be removed later, with all javax.xml as it moves to common )

Costin