Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/03 10:36:48 UTC

ManifoldCF June report

Hi Folks,

Apparently putting together the June board report is my
responsibility.  Here's a stab at it; does anyone think I should
revise anything?

Also, being the first report, I'd like to (a) assure myself that this
is the right process, and (b) make sure that board@apache.org is where
I would send it.... so please chime in if you have comments.

Karl

Board Report, ManifoldCF PMC

ManifoldCF PMC Chair: Karl Wright (kwright@apache.org)
Date: June 2012

Project description
==============

ManifoldCF is an effort to provide an open source framework for connecting
source content repositories like Microsoft Sharepoint and EMC Documentum,
to target repositories or indexes, such as Apache Solr , OpenSearchServer
or ElasticSearch. ManifoldCF also defines a security model for target
repositories
that permits them to enforce source-repository security policies.

Milestones
========

ManifoldCF graduated from the Apache Incubator on May 16, 2012, one day after
the latest major release on May 15, 2012.  Since then there has been a
limited point
release as well (on May 22, 2012).

Mailing list activity
There has been some activity pertaining to certain specific connectors,
especially the SharePoint connector and the need to develop a SharePoint 2010
version of this, including offers of contribution.  Also within the
last month there
have been requests for assistance from those using the web connector for
extremely challenging session authentication situations.  The dev
lists have been
occupied with getting the releases out the door and looking at a connector for
a new open-source pipeline release.
I am unaware of any mailing-list question that has gone unanswered.

Committer and PMC membership
========================

The last new committer signed on was in February, 2012.  Since then we've had
a number of offers for contribution from outside the community but insufficient
demonstrated commitment to offer committership or PMC membership to any
individual.  We are actively working to have a broader committer base,
as always,
and try to maintain an encouraging attitude towards new contributors.

Branding
======

We are aware of no current violations of the Apache ManifoldCF brand.

Legal
====

A legal issue we are looking to resolve pertains to how we interface
to .NET services.
The ticket is LEGAL-137.  There has been a fair bit of discussion of the issue
raised here but no definitive conclusion as of yet.  Until such time
as I hear back
from either HP or Apache Legal about this, we will continue to treat
generated .NET
interface documents as copyrightable materials.

Infrastructure
==========

As per the graduation documents [1], I've filed graduation tickets with INFRA
(see INFRA-4841).  We await movement of our web, dist, and svn resources from
our incubator area to their final TLP locations.  After this move, we
intend to request
that a Git svn mirror be created also.

ManifoldCF's unique nature (specifically, its purpose of connecting to
third-party and
possibly proprietary systems) has led to a significant amount of
back-and-forth on
at least one of the infrastructure subtickets we created.  As a
result, we've already revamped
our website (CONNECTORS-473), and we are also in the process of improving our
build and release process (CONNECTORS-474).  It does not appear that the issues
raised are sufficient to prevent migration, and yet migration has not
occurred as of this
writing.  We have been unable to complete the setup of the ManifoldCF
project for
this reason.

We will continue to use Incubator resources until such time as the migration
actually takes place.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#life-after-graduation

Re: ManifoldCF June report

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hearing no objection, and learning that the deadline is the 6th, I've
gone ahead and submitted this report.

Karl