Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Simon Spero <se...@mossflower.oit.unc.edu> on 1998/09/11 16:58:37 UTC

You'ld think they'd run the current release...

Actually, this would make for an interesting benchmark... Thomas.loc.gov
is running Apache/1.2.5. I guess the real killer will be the inline images

-----
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/ts/story.html?s=v/nm/19980911/ts/internet_4.html

Friday September 11 9:30 AM EDT

Clinton Sex Report Could Jam Congress Computer

By Neil Winton, Science and Technology Correspondent

LONDON (Reuters) - Millions of people worldwide prepared to surf the
Internet Friday in search of the Starr report on the White House sex
scandal imperiling President Clinton, but could be frustrated by
congressional computer failure.

Experts said the phone network should hold up overall but bottlenecks
could come from a beleaguered U.S. Congress computer.

[....]

The U.S. House of Representatives said it would release a 445-page summary
of independent counsel Kenneth Starr's impeachment report on the Library
of Congress web site http://thomas.loc.gov or on a special House site
being prepared at www.house.gov/icreport, probably between 2 p.m. and 4
p.m. (1800 and 2000 GMT) Friday.

Simon
----
Now available - The Freddy Hayek Kayak            | "Pass me another elf
Paddle Your Own Canoe! Be Rowed To Surfdom!       | Sergeant- this one's
>From The Taco Institute for Dyslexic Libertarians | split"
  Moments ago I had everything. Now, there's a cow in my nose - La Salla

Re: You'ld think they'd run the current release...

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Simon Spero wrote:

> Actually, this would make for an interesting benchmark... Thomas.loc.gov
> is running Apache/1.2.5. I guess the real killer will be the inline images

I had to laugh at the fools predicting the entire Internet could "melt
down" due to this romance novel being released.

But, I think the impressive traffic went to cnn with 340000 hits/minute
which is their highest load ever.  Of course, that does help put into
perspective just how important benchmarks on static content are or are
not since that is under 6000 hits/sec and can easily be balanced across
many machines pretty cheaply.