Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Irina <ir...@nas.net> on 2006/01/21 20:57:02 UTC

rbldnsd on FreeBSD

Hello all,

Thank you for your answers on SURBL (few days back).  I decided to install
rbldnsd with rsync and have few things to ask.

It will run on FreeBSD 5.4 with no named running.  Server uses resolve.conf
with 2 our DNS servers.

Do I need to use BIND with rbldnsd and rsync?  Or only rbldnsd and rsync?

If I don't really need it with BIND, but would it be beneficial?

Thank you,
Irina

Re: rbldnsd on FreeBSD

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
Some of the HowTo documents at:

  http://www.surbl.org/rsync-signup.html

may be of use in setting up and rbldnsd server, including port
forwarding from BIND.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: rbldnsd on FreeBSD

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Sunday, January 22, 2006, 4:38:11 PM, mouss mouss wrote:
> Larry Rosenman a écrit :
>> Jeff Peng wrote:
>>
>>>hi,Irina,
>>>rbldnsd is really a simple dns server.you can use it directly,no any
>>>need to bind.and,you can use rsync to download the rbl files.
>>>

>> I have both rbldnsd and bind running on my 2 nameservers.  I had to
>> bind(pardon the pun) rbldnsd
>> To a separate alias IP, as I couldn't seem to make bind9 do the forward
>> correctly.
>>

> ahuhuhuh? you can choose a different port for rbldnsd and tell bind to
> use that port. make sure to use use bind9 (or djbdns).

It depends on the version of BIND:

http://www.surbl.org/rbldnsd-bind-freebsd.html

# For BIND 9 simply specify the IP and port rbldnsd is using:
[...]

# In contrast, BIND 8 can only operate on port 53. So in order to
tell it to forward responses for certain domains, first we need
to tell it what specific local addresses BIND 8 itself should
respond on:
[...]

(BIND 8 does not know anything about ports other than 53, so we
can't specify a port, and we must use some other address to
forward requests to rbldnsd.)

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: rbldnsd on FreeBSD

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.

RE: rbldnsd on FreeBSD

Posted by Larry Rosenman <le...@lerctr.org>.
Jeff Peng wrote:
> hi,Irina,
> rbldnsd is really a simple dns server.you can use it directly,no any
> need to bind.and,you can use rsync to download the rbl files.

I have both rbldnsd and bind running on my 2 nameservers.  I had to
bind(pardon the pun) rbldnsd
To a separate alias IP, as I couldn't seem to make bind9 do the forward
correctly.

Rbldnsd is in FreeBSD ports (although it seems to be a release or 2 down,
I'll probably submit
An update soon).

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3683 US

Re: rbldnsd on FreeBSD

Posted by Jeff Peng <je...@gmx.net>.
hi,Irina,

--
DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: rbldnsd on FreeBSD

Posted by Randy Smith <pe...@falconsroost.alamosa.co.us>.
Irina wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thank you for your answers on SURBL (few days back).  I decided to install
> rbldnsd with rsync and have few things to ask.
>
> It will run on FreeBSD 5.4 with no named running.  Server uses resolve.conf
> with 2 our DNS servers.
>
> Do I need to use BIND with rbldnsd and rsync?  Or only rbldnsd and rsync?

You don't need to use it. I do, but that's just me. My setup is doc'd at
http://perlstalker.amigo.net/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=CourierRBLs.

> If I don't really need it with BIND, but would it be beneficial?

I do it because I use a caching DNS server on a very close server that
my mail servers talk to.

--
Randy Smith
http://perlstalker.amigo.net/