Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by kylepetersen <ky...@brookingselectric.com> on 2008/01/24 15:56:24 UTC

Whitelist feature configuration

Hello again,

I'm trying to enable the whitelist feature in James, but having minimal
success.  After enabling the respective items in config.xml, James did
successfully create the necessary tables in the appropriate db:/maildb.

The problem now, it seems, is that when I forward a mail to
'whitelist.manager@localhost.com', it stays in the outbox folder in the file
repository.

Here are the code snippets from my config.xml file (before you mention it, I
changed my @domain below in case spammers are reading this):

<!-- THIS FEATURE IS NOT WORKING; setup whitelist manager -->
<mailet match="SMTPAuthSuccessful" class="WhiteListManager"
onMailetException="ignore">
            <repositoryPath>db://maildb</repositoryPath>
            <automaticInsert>true</automaticInsert>

<whitelistManagerAddress>whitelist@localhost.com</whitelistManagerAddress>
            <displayFlag>display</displayFlag>
            <insertFlag>insert</insertFlag>
            <removeFlag>remove</removeFlag>
         </mailet>

<!-- FYI, THIS FEATURE WORKS GREAT -->
         <!-- "not spam" bayesian analysis feeder. -->

         <mailet match="RecipientIs=ham@bayesian.brookingselectric.com"
class="BayesianAnalysisFeeder">
            <repositoryPath> db://maildb </repositoryPath>
            <feedType>ham</feedType>
            <maxSize>200000</maxSize>
         </mailet>

         <!-- "spam" bayesian analysis feeder. -->

         <mailet match="RecipientIs=spam@bayesian.brookingselectric.com"
class="BayesianAnalysisFeeder">
            <repositoryPath> db://maildb </repositoryPath>
            <feedType>spam</feedType>
            <maxSize>200000</maxSize>
         </mailet>

<!-- MORE WHITELIST CONFIG; is sender valid?-->
<mailet match="IsInWhiteList=db://maildb" class="ToProcessor"
onMatchException="noMatch">
            <processor> transport </processor>
         </mailet>

That's actually it... the only other bit that would be relevant I think is
in the <database-connections>
block, but since the bayesian filter/feeder is working this stuff seems ok.

Any help & suggestions are appreciated!

Regards,
Kyle

Re: Whitelist feature configuration

Posted by Mark Nijland <ma...@cybersci.com>.
In my experience to get a whitelist to work you have to be careful with how
your local user account, servernames and smtp are configured. In my setup
the user in James and the user in the sending email address are the same
(although the domains differ). The domain of the sending address is included
in the servernames block along with the name of the James machine (in my
case localhost).

Example:

James is located on localhost, configured with user bob.smith
You send email as bob.smith@smithsemporium.com from a machine with address
192.168.20.50 and use James for SMTP.
Your whitelist is setup with the manager account whitelist@localhost

In config.xml:

<servernames>
  <servername>localhost</servername>
  <servername>smithsemporium.com</servername>
</servernames>
<smtpserver>
  <authorizedAddresses>127.0.0.0/8,
192.168.20.0/255.255.255.0</authorizedAddresses>
</smtpserver>

Sending messages as bob.smith@smithsemporium.com from 192.168.20.50 will be
seen as local, and although SMTP authorization is enabled it won't be
necessary (sending from an authorized address) so you might not need the
SMTPAuthSuccessful match - mine is set to All. My James server is not
exposed directly exposed to the outside.

Re: Whitelist feature configuration

Posted by kylepetersen <ky...@brookingselectric.com>.
Oops, actually I was being too generic in my description, but thanks for the
feedback.  I've matched the email addresses, but it still hangs in the
outbox :(

Hi

Check that the manager address in the WhiteListManager mailet is the same as
the one you forward to. From your config.xml they are different, in which
case the message will not be processed.

Re: Whitelist feature configuration

Posted by Mark Nijland <ma...@cybersci.com>.
Hi