Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Torsten Trzeciak <to...@trzeciak.de> on 2003/05/31 21:38:25 UTC

Best practice OJB in struts????

Hi,
after a few difficulties in setting the configuration for PersistenceBroker
API (read access) and ODMG (write access) with Tomcat's datasource I still
feel unconfortable in access a DB from struts actions with OJB. Is there a
best practice available with all exceptions etc.?

Why are special DB tables necessary for ODMG??

Tanks in advance

Re: Best practice OJB in struts????

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi Torsten,

Torsten Trzeciak wrote:
> Hi,
> after a few difficulties in setting the configuration for PersistenceBroker
> API (read access) and ODMG (write access) with Tomcat's datasource I still
> feel unconfortable in access a DB from struts actions with OJB. Is there a
> best practice available with all exceptions etc.?

There is an excellent O'Reilly book on Struts programming by Chuck
Cavaness. It contains a whole chapter on using STruts and OJB.

Chuck also provides Powerpoints slides on STruts and OJB and even a
tutorial site.
All available from our "further readings" section:
http://db.apache.org/ojb/links.html

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/db-ojb/contrib/struts-ojb.zip?rev=HEAD
http://www.ajug.org/meetings/download/struts.pdf
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/db-ojb/contrib/cavaness-ajug-slides.pdf?rev=HEAD

> Why are special DB tables necessary for ODMG??

because ODMG spec requires support for persistent collections.
So to store for instance an ODMG DList, we need tables to hold those
datastructures.
See also:
http://db.apache.org/ojb/platforms.html#OJB internal tables

cheers,