Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by David Primmer <da...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/20 03:15:29 UTC

updating the source dataset for shindig

I have some updated data people, social graph, activities, that I'd
like to add to shindig but I'm wondering the best way to store it and
work with it. Anyone have a suggestion? I'd like to replace the
state-basicfriendlist.xml file with something that's easier to edit
and work with that could be checked into shindig. Some suggestions
from the summit were http://www.hsqldb.org/,
http://db.apache.org/derby/ and http://www.sqlite.org/, the latter
being c-based.

I'm primarily interested in supporting the java rest api so hsqldb
sounds best but I'm sure the other implementations would like to use
the same source data and may want something with more runtime
availability. Maybe we could store the seed data in multiple formats
for seeding a few different small database engines but we should start
with one.

I'd like to avoid non-embeded stuff like MySql.

There's been a request not to have the database engine included in the
shindig jar. We'd have to design the maven rules to generate alternate
binaries. Here's the maven rule to add hsqldb:

<dependency>
<groupId>hsqldb</groupId>
<artifactId>hsqldb</artifactId>
<version>1.8.0.7</version>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>

davep

Re: updating the source dataset for shindig

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Vincent Siveton
<vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Santiago,
>
> 2008/5/20, Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>:
>> The page you posted starts with: NOTE: By downloading the software
>>  from this page, you acknowledge that the software available from here
>>  is licensed under the GPL. We advise that you review the GPL before
>>  downloading.
>>
>>  So I guess it is impossible to be used in something to be released
>>  under the Apache License.
>
> I was aware about mysql license, I just gave this pointer for information.
> Not sure if Shindig could only use this artifact for testing, ie
> without release test artifacts, but definitely Shindig *can't* release
> any artifacts with GPL artifacts.

In this case you should have warned about it. Licensing issues are
important for a lot of people, specially when we are doing a reference
implementation of a standard specification, and it is supposed to be
used in plenty of different contexts. Dropping a link without further
comment cannot be considered information, but rather adding confusion
to the mix.

Regards
Santiago

>>  I love hsqldb, and have used it some time ago. What I loved most of it
>>  is that the DB format we used was essentially an ASCII log of SQL
>>  commands, so that it was amazing for debugging. This formats gets
>>  collapsed to a set of INSERTs on close/open, so it is not as bad as it
>>  looks.
>>
>>  I wonder if derby has something similar, I always missed this for
>>  debugging DB related issues when we moved off hsqldb.
>
> FYI here are some DB informations:
> http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/databases/hsqldb.html
> http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/databases/derby.html

PS) Not sure what is the purpose of those links either.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Santiago,

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:15 PM, David Primmer <da...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have some updated data people, social graph, activities, that I'd
> like to add to shindig but I'm wondering the best way to store it and
> work with it. Anyone have a suggestion? I'd like to replace the
> state-basicfriendlist.xml file with something that's easier to edit
> and work with that could be checked into shindig. Some suggestions
> from the summit were http://www.hsqldb.org/,
> http://db.apache.org/derby/ and http://www.sqlite.org/, the latter
> being c-based.
>
> I'm primarily interested in supporting the java rest api so hsqldb
> sounds best but I'm sure the other implementations would like to use
> the same source data and may want something with more runtime
> availability. Maybe we could store the seed data in multiple formats
> for seeding a few different small database engines but we should start
> with one.
>
> I'd like to avoid non-embeded stuff like MySql.
>
> There's been a request not to have the database engine included in the
> shindig jar. We'd have to design the maven rules to generate alternate
> binaries. Here's the maven rule to add hsqldb:
>
> <dependency>
> <groupId>hsqldb</groupId>
> <artifactId>hsqldb</artifactId>
> <version>1.8.0.7</version>
> <scope>test</scope>
> </dependency>

As long as the scope is "compile", the jar itself won't be "included" in the
shindig artifacts -- you'll just get build errors if you try to instantiate
a class that depends on them if the appropriate dependencies aren't in your
classpath.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
For PHP, the logical thing is to use http://us3.php.net/pdo, and then run
whatever as a separate process.

That's pretty standard LAMP stuff. You won't have it available for the
tests, though, so a mocked pdo would be appropriate.

Posted by Louis Ryan <lr...@google.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
I think the main point we made a while back already, was to try to
keep any DB bits out of shindig.

I went and made a side project partuza (see http://www.chabotc.com/partuza/
  for more info), with a slight fix in the way the security token
works, this should work perfectly on the java version as well, so
might make a good 'live, db driven' test case? That was (one of the)
intention anyhow.

	-- Chris

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Vasudeva Nori <va...@gmail.com>.