Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2006/11/03 15:41:40 UTC

uima-website and uima-docbooks

These projects seem to have had their .project and .classpath files checked
in.  Furthermore they don't appear to have any Java code in them (unless I
missed something), so are the .classpath files used for anything?

I think in general we should try to avoid having .project and .classpath
checked in.  Subclipse will automatically create a default .project when you
checkout from SVN anyway, so the only reason to check in .project would be
if there are some specific settings that are captured there.  As for
.classpath (if necessary), instead create a Maven pom.xml and allow Maven to
generate the .classpath (by the mvn eclipse:eclipse goal).

-Adam

Re: uima-website and uima-docbooks

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> These projects seem to have had their .project and .classpath files
> checked
> in.  Furthermore they don't appear to have any Java code in them
> (unless I
> missed something), so are the .classpath files used for anything?

Yes.  These projects both run ant scripts which use jar files kept in
lib directories.
You're probably correct, though, that these don't need to be "Java"
projects in
eclipse.

I checked in the .project and .class because the build for these is
(currently) outside
the maven system - it's done by running the build.xml ant script. I
didn't know about
SVN and .project files.  My only goal was to enable others to check it
out without
hassle into Eclipse.  If that can be done without these two files,
please delete them :-)

-Marshall